Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageUS Benghazi Consulate attack suspect Faraj al-Shibli in custody

By JohnThomas Didymus     Mar 14, 2013 in World
Benghazi - The Voice of Russia is reporting that Libyan authorities say they have apprehended a man suspected of involvement in last year's terrorist attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
According The Voice of Russia, two sources have confirmed to CNN that the man's name is Faraj al-Shibli (also spelled Chalabi). He is considered a suspect in the September 11, 2012 assault on the US Consulate in Benghazi that led to the death of US ambassador Chris Stevens.
A source reportedly told CNN that al-Shibli was apprehended during a return trip from Pakistan. He has been in custody for two days.
The Libyan government targeted al-Shibli after his name appeared on the United Nations and Interpol "wanted" list.
According to RT, al-Shibli reportedly joined the militant anti-Gadaffi Libyan Islamist Fighting Group in the 1990s and has long been suspected of involvement in the 1994 murder of a German counterintelligence officer Silvan Becker and his wife in Sirte, Libya. Osama bin Laden was also a suspect in Becker's murder, leading to suspicions of ties between al-Shibli and al-Qaeda.
Soon after the Benghazi attack last last year, Ahmed Abu Khattala of Ansar al-Sharia, a Benghazi-based militant group gave interviews in which he hinted involvement in the Benghazi assault. RT reports Khattala told Reuters: "These reports say that no one knows where I am and that I am hiding. But here I am in the open, sitting in a hotel with you. I'm even going to pick up my sister's kids from school soon."
More about Suspect, Benghazi, Custody, faraj alshibli
More news from
Latest News
Top News