Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageGreece: 2 students dead, 2 in coma from carbon monoxide poisoning

By Katerina Nikolas     Mar 2, 2013 in World
Greek austerity has brought yet another tragedy as two students died from carbon monoxide poisoning after using a charcoal grill for warmth. They were unable to afford heating oil, a luxury item in Greece. Two of their friends remain in a coma.
Greece is mourning the death of Savvas Papadopoulos, 21, and Nikos Papachroni, 22, found dead in their rented student house in Larissa on Thursday evening. Three other young men also succumbed to the fumes. Alexander Pappas and George Pormpeskou remain in a coma in intensive care, while Newsit reports the fifth student is showing signs of improvement.
The students had used a makeshift charcoal barbecue to cook dinner, then brought it indoors to provide warmth, Ekathimerini reported. Their landlady said they had told her they could not afford heating oil.
Political parties SYRIZA, KKE, Golden Dawn and Independent Greeks, each criticised the government policy of austerity which deprives citizens of essential needs such as heating. There were calls to rescind the special taxes on central heating oil which has resulted in increased deaths, as more dangerous alternatives of heating are used.
More about Larissa tragedy, Carbon monoxide poisoning, Nikos Papachroni, Savvas Papadopoulos, greek austerity
More news from
Latest News
Top News