Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageKarzai bans US Special Forces from Eastern Afghan Province

By Karl Gotthardt     Feb 25, 2013 in Politics
Kabul - Accusing US Special Ops of furthering insecurity and instability, Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered that these forces leave Maidan Wardak within two weeks. Karzai has often complained of the number of civilian casualties attributed Allied forces.
As the war in Afghanistan is winding down, Afghan President Hamid Karzai has been asserting his authority over the country. The demand that US Special Forces be withdrawn from Wardak province is not a surprise.
The announcement of Karzai's order came at a press conference in Kabul. Aimal Faizi, a presidential spokesman announced that US forces were responsible for misconduct.
"In today's [weekly] national security council meeting, Afghan President Hamid Karzai ordered the ministry of defence to kick out the US special forces from Wardak ... within two weeks," Faizi said.
Faizi alleged that the misconduct included beheading beheading of a student and the capture of nine missing locals.
A recent example in the province is an incident in which nine people were disappeared in an operation by this suspicious force and in a separate incident a student was taken away at night from his home, whose tortured body with throat cut was found two days later under a bridge.
As previously reported in Digital Journal, NATO is responsible for eight per cent of all civilian deaths in Afghanistan. The Taliban is responsible for 81 per cent of the 2754 civilians killed in 2012.
Karzai has been critical of NATO caused civilian deaths in the past and during a meeting in Washington In January reached an agreement with President Obama for the handover of US detention facilities to Afghan authority and the departure of US forces from Afghan villages.
Karzai said he was pleased by the agreement, in part because it means that by spring there will be no foreign troops in Afghan villages.
Karzai's statement regarding the ban was blunt and to the point.
"Our forces ask for air support from foreigners and children get killed in an air strike," he said.
US response. Coalition officials declined to comment on the allegations, but said that they were talking to their Afghan counterparts. The US said that it took the allegations seriously and a spokesman for US Special forces said that they were not prepare to comment "until we have had a chance to speak with senior government officials"
According to CTV News, a spokesman for ISAF, German General Gunter Katz said that the coalition has found no evidence of misconduct by US special forces. Katz said that ISAF would work with the Karzai government to find solutions to the Afghan concerns.
The order also precludes any further ISAF operations in the province effective immediately.
There are similar stories on Digital Journal:
Op-Ed: Afghan president Karzai orders US troops out of Wardak province
Afghan expels US Special Forces for torturing and murdering
More about Afghanistan, us special forces, Civilian casualties, Hamid karzai, Black ops
More news from
Latest News
Top News