Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

Stuckless arrested in historic sexual assault case Special

By KJ Mullins     Feb 7, 2013 in Crime
Toronto - A man who was sentenced to five years for his part of the Maple Leaf Sex Scandal has been arrested again in a historic child sexual assault in Toronto.
In 1997 the Maple Leaf Sex Scandal saw two men, John Paul Roby and Gordon Stuckless, were convicted for the sexual assaults on 24 boys who had been victimized when they were 11 to 15 years of age. A third man, George Hannah, was also named in the investigation but he had died in 1985. According to media reports from the time the victimization of young boys had taken place for over 20 years with officials from the Toronto Maple Leafs oblivious.
Roby was declared a dangerous offender, convicted on more than half of the 57 charges he faced. Because of the designation it was unlikely that Roby will ever be free. He died in prison in 2001.
Stuckless was charged with 572 counts of molestation. He was found guilty of 26 charges. He was sentenced to two years in a provincial jail. The first victim to come forward, Martin Kruze, committed suicide after learning the verdict by jumping from the Bloor Street Viaduct. Because of the suicide and an appeal from the Crown Stuckless' sentence was extended to five years.
At the time of Kruze's suicide Stuckless was quoted by the CBC:
"Too bad that piece of shit didn't do it sooner," a guard heard Stuckless say to his cellmate, "then I wouldn't be here."
Stuckless was released on February 23, 2002. At that time he was prohibited from being alone with boys under the age of 18. He was released even though a guard had found "pictures that depicted child pornography" taped inside a magazine in Stuckless's cell. It was unclear as to whom the pictures belonged to, Stuckless or his cellmate.
In 2008 Stuckless was living in Spain teaching hockey.
Today Stuckless, 63, was arrested and charged with six counts of indecent assault on a male, assault and possession of a weapon of imitation.
The charges stem from a historical sexual assault investigation. "The victims have just recently come forward. After investigation into the accusations the suspect was arrested," Constable Tony Vella said during a phone interview. "It has been alleged that in the late 1970s the accused was a teacher and volunteered at a local community centre and sports clubs. The accused sexually assaulted two boys, then aged 11 and 13, at a school, a community centre and at various other locations in Toronto."
Vella said that Stuckless was arrested at his home in Toronto. At this time it is not known when Stuckless returned from Spain or if he was employed in a job where he had access to children.
"Stuckless will be in court on Friday. It is likely that he will be released from the station pending his court case with conditions," Vella confirmed. The trial will begin on March 22.
Police believe that there may be more victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416−808−7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416−222−TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook.
More about Gordon Stuckless, Sexual assault, Child sexual assault
More news from
Latest News
Top News