Michele Cardoso, 20, a medical student who died in the Brazilian nightclub inferno, posted a message to Facebook before she died in which she pleaded for help. She was in the club with her boyfriend when the fire in which at least 231 people died started.
The Daily Mail reports that at 3.20 a.m. on Saturday morning, 50 minutes after the fire reportedly started, Cardoso, who was also a part-time worker in the club's cloakrooms, posted a message to Facebook using her mobile phone. The SOS message read: "Fire at KISS help."
According to The Sun, the medical student was at the nightclub with her sister Clarissa and boyfriend Joao Paulo, both of whom also died in the fire.
Friends who saw the message posted replies asking if she was alright but their inquiries went unanswered.
After the authorities confirmed Cardoso was among the dead in the inferno, a friend posted a Facebook message that said: "I never imagined that it was serious when I first saw her asking for help on Facebook in the early hours, until I woke up with a message from my mum telling me what had happened."
The Sun reports that most of the victims of the Sunday morning tragedy died on the club's restrooms. The picture that emerges is one in which revelers seeking the fire exit in vain ended up in the restrooms, some possibly mistaking the toilet signs for the emergency exit.
Edi Garcia, Santa Maria's military police chief, said rescue workers recovered more than 180 bodies from inside the toilets. He said: "The scene was terrible, so sad to see. There were so many young people and the space was very small. I took more than 180 people from the restrooms. They had run there trying to escape.The truck which was taking the bodies away had to come back five times to be filled up again. The scene was so sad.”
Brazilian police have arrested three persons in connection with fire incident, The Sun reports. The police said they are questioning the owner of the club Elissandro "Kiko" Spohr, and Marcelo Santos, vocalist of the band Gurizada Fandangueira. According to the Daily Mail, police detained Marcelo Santos at the wake of fellow band member Danilo Jacques, who died in the fire.
Investigators believe that the band's pyrotechnics display ignited soundproofing material on the ceiling. The smoke released choked victims to death.
Reports say most of the victims died from smoke inhalation. The Huffington Post reports that Dr. Paulo Afonso Beltrame, a medical school professor who saw the victims, told the Associated Press: "Large amounts of toxic smoke quickly filled the room, and I would say that at least 90 percent of the victims died of asphyxiation."
Co-owner of the nightclub Mauro Hoffman, is reportedly on the run. Police have issued a warrant for his arrest.
According to the Daily Mail, Michele Cardoso's distraught father, Sandro Cardoso, posted a message to the nightclub owner Elissandro "Kiko" Spohr, that said that he (Spohr) should relocate from Santa Maria.
He wrote: "KIKO you killed my two daughters I think it would be a good if you moved from santa maria you don't have any idea of my pain this message goes to you and your family because the pain I'm feeling is inexplicable (sic)."
Owners of the club reportedly admitted that the club's license to operate and fire safety certificate had expired since last year.
Meanwhile, 100 victims of the blaze have been buried in Santa Maria, southern Brazil.