Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageCasey Anthony declares bankruptcy, breaks silence for first time

article:342176:13::0
By Yukio Strachan     Jan 26, 2013 in Crime
Casey Anthony, famously acquitted of murder in the death of her precious 2-year-old daughter Caylee, broke her silence Friday after filing for bankruptcy protection, saying she is ready to move on with her life.
"This is the next step towards closure for me," Anthony told CBS 5 in a phone conversation Friday evening, marking the first time Anthony has spoken with a news reporter on the record since her daughter's death in 2008.
Anthony filed for bankruptcy protection on the same day the appeals court tossed out two of the four misdemeanor convictions against Anthony. She was convicted in July 2011 of four counts of lying to law enforcement.
"She needs closure in this matter in order to move on with her life," said Anthony's civil attorney, Charles Greene, according to Phoenix's CBS 5 News. "Emotionally and physically, she can't go on for another year. She needs a clean slate from a financial perspective."
Anthony's total assets, according to the filing are listed at less than $1,100 and her liabilities total more than $792,119.
The bankruptcy documents list nearly 100 names and organizations that could potentially pursue claims against Anthony, CBS 5 writes. The possible financial claims against Anthony include:
$500,000 – Attorney Jose Baez
$60,505 – Florida Department of Law Enforcement
$68,540 – Internal Revenue Service
$10,283 – Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation
$145,660 – Orange County Sheriff's Office
Those individuals and organizations listed in the 60-page bankruptcy filing would have to file a claim in federal court in order to get money from Casey Anthony.
This move delivers a blow to Zenaida Gonzalez, the Kissimmee woman suing Anthony for defamation. This is because it brings all of Anthony's civil cases currently under way in Florida state court – to a complete halt. Anthony is listed as a defendant in three civil suits in Orange County, FL.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Gonzalez claims Anthony defamed her when Anthony told Orange County Sheriff's Deputies in July 2008 that a fictitious nanny named "Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez" kidnapped her daughter Caylee.
Her attorney said Anthony had no other choice. "All the civil cases and people making potential claims have put her (Casey) in a position where bankruptcy is the only option," Greene said.
But the decision to file for bankruptcy does not mean Anthony's state court legal issues go away. CBS 5 explains it does mean that Attorneys for Zenaida Gonzalez - and others making claims against Anthony - would have to prove to a federal judge the damages they seek are "nondischargeable," meaning she would owe money despite the bankruptcy filing.
"Casey hoped the (Zenaida Gonzalez) civil case would be over in January. This has been an ongoing battle for close to five years," said Greene, according to the Arizona station."She (Casey) feels it's unfair for this process to drag on."
Anthony couldn't agree more. The case was originally scheduled to go to trial earlier this month, but attorneys for Gonzalez were granted a continuance by the judge.
Anthony told CBS 5 News that she really hoped the Gonzalez case would have been behind her by now. She's ready to go on with her life.
"These are the things holding me back," Anthony said. "This is the key for me to move forward."
article:342176:13::0
More about Casey Anthony, Bankruptcy, Charles Greene, zenaida gonzalez, Caylee anthony
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers