Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageToronto Mayor Rob Ford to remain in office

By KJ Mullins     Jan 25, 2013 in Politics
Toronto - Rob Ford's appeal to stay in office has been allowed by a three judge panel. Ford was found in conflict of interest by the court in November. Ford's appeal was heard earlier this month and decided today.
Ford arrived at his lawyer's office just after 9:30 a.m. this morning. Ford's brother City Councillor Doug Ford was with him.
Lawyers were given the final decision at 9:30 from the court, an hour before the announcement was to be announced.
At City Hall a row of velvet ropes were set up to hold back the media from the mayor's office door as they gathered to get the court's decision. Many were surprised that the news was not leaked before the public was told if Ford won or lost his appeal.
City Councillor Joe Mihevc joked "I think the media has lost its mojo" as the city waited for the answer.
Councillors waited like the rest of the public for the word of where the city was standing. Today's story started less than a year ago when a private citizen started the lawsuit saying that Ford was in conflict of interest over a vote in council chambers concerning the repayment of funds obtained that were received while Ford was running for mayor. The funds in question were for Ford's private foundation. The concern was that donations had been made using City of Toronto letterhead.
Before the verdict was read this morning Doug Holyday said that if he was appointed to be the interim mayor he would take that position as deputy mayor.
Mihevc said after that he was surprised by today's decision. "It's business as usual. It is what it is. Let's get on with the business of council."
More about Rob Ford, Appeal, Toronto
More news from
Latest News
Top News