Police in Akron, Ohio are investigating the death of a 4-year-old boy who was shot while riding in a car with his father on Wednesday morning.
Fox 8 Cleveland reports that Jamarcus Allen died after being rushed to Akron Children's Hospital. His father, 48-year-old Terrance Allen, has been arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment and other offenses, according to ABC 5.
According to Akron Police Lt. Rick Edwards, a Summit County Sheriff's deputy was flagged down by Allen, who was driving near the intersection of South Arlington Street and Davies Avenue just before 10 a.m. on Wednesday. Allen told the deputy that Jamarcus had been shot. There was a bullet hole in the roof of the car and officers recovered a handgun from the vehicle as well.
The slain child's mother, 42-year-old Jamella Allen, was distraught upon learning that her son was dead.
"I'm going crazy about what happened to my baby," she told ABC 5. "I want to know what happened."
Allen said her son loved Batman, Spider-Man and football and was looking forward to starting kindergarten next year.
Jamarcus Allen is the latest of many children to be shot to death in the United States. In recent weeks, the following young children have died from gunshot wounds:
- Maximilian Walters, 5, was shot and killed by his father, a Las Vegas Metro Police lieutenant, in Boulder City, Nevada on Monday.
- Zephania Griego, 10; Jael Griego, 5; and Angelina Griego, 2, were shot dead by their brother, 15-year-old Nehemiah Griego in their Albuquerque, New Mexico home on Saturday.
- Trinity Ross, age 4, was accidentally shot in the head by her 6-year-old brother in Kansas City, Missouri on January 10. She was taken off life support and pronounced dead last week.
- Navaeh Benson, 6, of Cleveland, Ohio accidentally shot herself in the face last Saturday. Her father has been charged in connection with her death.
- William Paris, a 12-year-old Pleasant Valley, Alabama boy, was accidentally shot dead on January 8 by his cousin, also 12, who was showing off a shotgun he got for Christmas.
- Jonah Mendoza, age 6 months, was shot and killed in Ocala, Florida on January 4 by his mother, Melanie Reyes, who then turned the gun on herself.
- Aaliyah Boyer, 10, of Manheim, Pennsylvania, was struck in the head by a stray bullet fired during New Year's Eve celebrations. She was taken off life support on January 3.
- Easton Brueger, 8, was accidentally shot dead by his father, who was cleaning his rifle at the family's Bennettsville, South Carolina home on December 30.
- Sincere Tymere Smith, age 2, fatally shot himself with his father's gun in their Conway, South Carolina home on Christmas Day. His father has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
- Ryder Rozier, 3, of Guthrie, Oklahoma accidentally shot himself to death with a gun he found in the home of his uncle, a state policeman, on December 15. No charges have been filed.