Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan dies after police Tasered him four times

By Eileen Kersey     Jan 22, 2013 in Crime
Kendal - A body builder struggled with police as they tried to arrest him. They claim to have feared for their lives, and so they used a Taser gun on him four times.
Police were called to a disturbance in Hartington Street in Barrow, UK, involving local man, 27-year-old Dale Burns. They attended the property where Dale lived. A woman occupying the ground floor flat, or apartment, called the landlord's agent, around 6pm. Water was pouring through the ceiling of her flat, from Dale's home above. He forced entry into Dale's flat and found him 'undressed, thought to be high on drugs and possibly self-harming.' Police were called a little after 6.30pm.
The incident happened in August 2011. The inquest into Dale's subsequent death heard the details, Monday, as the inquest into his death opened.
Two police cars and a police van, with a total of six officers attended the scene. The hearing was told that initially Dale appeared to respond to their attempts to 'engage' with him.
Dale told one of the attending officers, Police Constable Milby, 'I have taken one gram of Madcat', Alan Sharp, the deputy coroner for south and east Cumbria, told the jury. The drug is also known as MDPV, or methylenedioxypyrovalerone.
An ambulance was called but Dale refused treatment. The ambulance subsequently left. The hearing was told that Dale by now was agitated. The officers told the inquest that he became increasingly violent and, at one point, PC Kilby said he feared for his life. He claims that in such a volatile situation there was no time to issue a warning. As the arresting officers attempted to restrain Dale and hold him with handcuffs and leg restraints, he was stunned by a taser.The sequence of taser events, according to the Guardian are,
At 6.50pm PC Kilby fired the Taser for the first time, with the barbs lodging on Burns's torso, and a five-second pulse of electrical charge struck him. It caused him to fall backwards then forwards, knocking his head on a TV cabinet, said Sharp.
Three seconds later the officer discharged the Taser again, for a further five seconds, but this allegedly did not stop Burns, who struggled as officers tried to handcuff him.
Twenty-three seconds later the Taser was used again. Between the second and third discharge another officer used a pepper spray on Burns.
The third discharge was "not successful" in enabling the officers to handcuff him, and at 6.50pm and 52 seconds the Taser was used on him for a fourth and final time.
The inquest hearing was told that no warning was issued. The officers also pepper-sprayed him in the face.
A strong man, Dale a father of two, was a '"gentle giant but with a drug habit" who had taken a "gram of Madcat", an illegal drug, on the day he died, the inquest at the County Hall in Kendal heard', reports the Guardian.
During the arrest Dale was tasered four times, in less than one minute. Following his arrest Dale told officers he felt unwell. He was taken to Furness general hospital by police officers. Doctors treating Dale found that he had a 'high heart rate, blood pressure and temperature, plus low blood-sugar levels'.
A seizure was followed by a heart attack. Despite CPR, lasting 40 minutes, Dale died.
The officers were called to the disturbance around 6.30pm. At 8.41pm Dale was pronounced dead.
A postmortem examination into the cause of death found was no abnormality in Burns's heart. There were traces of MDPV in his blood.
An IPCC, independent police complaints commission, inquiry will reveal its findings once the inquest is complete. The coroner's inquest will hear from around 50 witnesses. These will include, medical staff and police officers plus friends and family of the dead man. The inquest is expected to last around three weeks, and is being held at the County Hall in Kendal.
More about Tasers, police taser dead man, body builder tasered, Taser, Stun gun
More news from
Latest News
Top News