Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageToronto suspect in 'extremely violent murder' was out on bail

By Arthur Weinreb     Jan 22, 2013 in Crime
Toronto - Emmanuel Owusu-Ansah, 30, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Bridget Takyi. The killing occurred a little more than a month after Owusu-Ansah was released on bail for serious domestic violence charges.
According to Toronto Police [PDF], officers responded to an unknown trouble call around 7 a.m. Saturday in the Weston Rd. and Eglinton Ave. West area of the city. After a brief investigation, they went to a nearby area and discovered the body of the 27-year-old Takyi on the street. She was pronounced dead at the scene. A post-mortem examination revealed she had received several sharp force injuries to her body and then set on fire.
According to Det. Brian Borg, Takyi was killed around 4 a.m. Saturday morning while walking to her car to go to work. Borg was quoted in the Globe and Mail as saying, "I can also tell you that her death was extremely violent. That death included both the victim being stabbed and being set on fire using a flammable substance. As well, the intensity of that fire has virtually left her body unrecognizable."
Bridget Takyi  27
Bridget Takyi, 27
Toronto Police Service
Less than three hours after the discovery of the body, Peel Regional police arrested Owusu-Ansah at a gas station in neighbouring Mississauga. The 30-year-old faces one charge of first-degree murder.
Global News reports Owusu-Ansah had been arrested on Dec. 5 and charged with three counts of assault, two counts of assault with a weapon, two counts of weapons dangerous to the public peace and one count of threatening death. According to Borg, these charges were all domestic violence related and it is believed Takyi was the victim in those incidents. Owusu-Ansah was later released on bail on those charges under conditions that were tantamount to house arrest.
Borg was quoted by CBC as saying, "Needless to say, at the time that this homicide was committed, the accused was in breach of numerous conditions of his court-ordered release."
Although Toronto police are confident they have the right man in custody, the investigation is continuing. Police are asking the public for help in tracing the knife, gas canister and gloves recovered at the scene.
Owusu-Ansah made a brief court appearance Sunday and will appear in court again today.
More about emmanuel owusuansah, bridget takyi, Firstdegree murder, House arrest
More news from
Latest News
Top News