Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageVodka IV saves puppy from renal failure

By Greta McClain     Jan 16, 2013 in Odd News
Melbourne - A bottle of vodka turned out to be a puppy's best friend after the inquisitive pup drank antifreeze and began to go into kidney failure.
Cleo, an American Staffordshire, was a mere nine-weeks-old when he managed to lick some antifreeze off a car part at her Melbourne, Australia home. Her owner, Stacy Zammit, found Cleo disoriented and having difficutly standing. Zammit told Today's THV:
"She was giving us a bit of a scare because she was really disorientated, she couldn't stand straight, she'd fall over."
Later that evening, Cleo refused to eat and being crying constantly. Zammit rushed the puppy to Point Cook Animal Accident Emergency hospital where he was seen by Matt Pascall. The vet knew Cleo was the victim of antifreeze poisoning and was just hours away from death. Taking a bottle of vodka he had received as a Christmas gift, Pascall started an IV drip, delivering the vodka directly into Cloe's stomach. Pascall knew a chemical in the vodka would help clean out the toxins that were causing Cloe's kidney's to fail.
Dr. Yenny Indrawirawan, a spokesman with the hospital told the The New Age:
“The alcohol stops a chemical reaction in the body. Without the vodka, Cleo was likely to develop renal failure. Besides being drunk for a few hours, the dog has made a full recovery.”
For the next two days, Choe was administered the vodka, consuming more than a third of the bottle. Pascal told the Daily Mail:
"It was quite funny, to be honest. Flushing her with vodka to make her better! If we put it in human terms, for me it would be the equivalent of having 7 or 8 shots every four hours.
Zermmit is overjoyed with Cloe's recovery and was able to find a bit of humor in the scary situation, telling Yahoo! Australia:
"Cleo had really bloodshot eyes and she was pretty unsteady. She couldn't move around much because she was so wasted."
Cloe has thankfully made a full recovery, showing no ill effects from the antifreeze, or her hangover.
More about Puppy, Pets, Pet, Animal, Antifreeze
More news from
Latest News
Top News