Two students attending a Safer Sex ball at Exeter University, were filmed on CCTV having sex in the campuses Ram bar. The event held in December 2012, is designed to promote safe sex, students at Exeter usually attend the event dressed only in their underwear, and are given contraceptives, the Daily Mail
Devon and Cornwall police state that those who illegally filmed the incident, as well as those who committed the act during the ball, may have broken the law. However they are not
investigating the incident. A spokesman for the University said that the campus is dealing with the matter internally.
One male student told the Daily Mail he was concerned ‘people can go into the monitor rooms and put footage of us all at university on the Internet’.
The event has been held for twenty years, and has raised £600,000 (nearly a million dollars in American currency), since that time for charity.
Chairman Chris McGovern, of the Campaign for Real Education
, an independent group formed in 1987, by parents and teachers concerned with state education, called the incident appalling. "It's regrettable when a University has to go along this particular path in the name of promoting safer sex. This is rather decadent and more reminiscent of something out of the decay of the Roman Empire." McGovern continued, "We're in favor of safe sex but this is not the way to go. They should be focusing on their learning for heaven's sake." The chairman of the Campaign for Real Education went on to criticize Exeter, "I would have thought it would only discredit the University and I think many parents whose children are at this university will be appalled."
The tribal theme of the 2012 event, where the two unidentified students had sex, was called
racists by critics. The fact that students would be wearing tribal costumes was viewed as an insult by, Sarah Ali who called on the university to apologize and change the theme.
In 2006 at Exeter University, 18-year-old Gavin Britton
drank himself to death at an initiation ceremony. The young man visited 13 bars in a mere three hours, eventually choking to death on his own vomit. Initiation ceremonies were later banned.