Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageHillary Clinton released from the hospital

By Greta McClain     Jan 2, 2013 in World
New York - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was seen leaving the hospital on Wednesday, three days after doctors found she had a blood clot.
On Sunday, Digital Journal reported Sec. Clinton was admitted to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital after her doctors found a blood clot on her brain during a routine follow-up exam. The blood was the result of a blow to the head sustained when she fainted in early December.
The blood clot could have caused serious problems if it had not been discovered by doctors. It was blocking one of two transverse sinus veins which drain blood from the brain. Dr. Geoffrey T. Manley, chief of neurosurgery at San Francisco General Hospital told the Detroit Free Press:
"These kinds of clots are potentially deadly because they can cause a stroke, hemorrhage or brain swelling."
Clinton briefly left the hospital earlier on Wednesday to undergo tests at another location. A few hours later, the Secretary was seen leaving the hospital again, this time after being released by her doctors. She was accompanied by her daughter, Chelsea, and her husband, former President Bill Clinton.
State Department spokesman Philippe Reines told Reuters:
"Her medical team advised her that she is making good progress on all fronts, and they are confident she will make a full recovery."
News of the Secretary's release is a welcome sign after a month of health issues. She contracted a stomach virus in early December which lead to her becoming dehydrated. Weakness caused by the dehydration caused the fainting spell that resulted in the concussion.
Victoria Nuland, a spokeswoman for the State Department, told ABC Clinton had been “quite active on the phone” while in the hospital, regularly speaking to State Department staff. No date has been set for her to return to work.
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine brain surgeon and associate professor, Dr. David J. Langer, told the New York Times that Clinton will require "close monitoring" over the next few days or even weeks, as doctors continue to monitor her condition. According to Dr. Langer, doctors need to make sure the amount of blood thinners Clinton is receiving is enough to prevent another blood clot, but not so strong they cause weakness.
Clinton will continue her recovery at home while doctor monitor her condition and determine when it is safe for her to return to work.
More about Hillary clinton, Secretary of State, us state department, concussion, Hospital
More news from
Latest News
Top News