Peter Lanza, the reportedly estranged father of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter, Adam Lanza, claimed his son's body Thursday, a family spokesman said.
Family spokesman Errol Cockfield confirmed that Adam Lanza's father claimed his son's body and that "private arrangements" for burial took place over the weekend, CNN reported.
Connecticut Chief State Medical Examiner H. Wayne Carver II, confirmed Sunday that Lanza’s body had been claimed sometime last week.
Lanza's burial site is being kept secret, Hartford Courant writes.
Lanza, 20, killed himself inside a classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14 after a shooting rampage that left 26 people dead in the school, including 20 children. Lanza earlier killed his mother, Nancy, at their house.
While police have not offered a motive for killings, the Chief Medical Examiner has asked geneticists from the University of Connecticut to study Lanza's DNA for any mutations or other abnormalities that could shed light on his motivation for the shootings. Even so, most experts believe that no single gene or mutation alone could foretell violent acts like those committed by Adam Lanza.
Nor do experts believe Asperger's would explain the horrific attack.
Carver told reporters he did not know whether Lanza had Asperger's, but he said the syndrome "is simply not on the menu, in terms of what is wrong with this kid."
"Asperger's is not associated with behavior patterns that are violent," he said, according to the newspaper.
Nancy Lanza's body was claimed by a funeral home in New Hampshire and she was buried in a private ceremony earlier this month. She was born in Kingston, N.H. Carver would not comment on whether the same funeral home claimed Adam Lanza's body.
Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, although sources said he had little contact with his son in the past two years.
After the school massacre, Peter Lanza released a statement saying that his family is "in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can. We, too, are asking why.""
In another development, just days after filing a $100 million lawsuit against the state on behalf of a 6-year-old girl who survived the shooting but heard gunfire and screaming over the intercom, Connecticut lawyer Irving Pinsky has withdrawn it, the Connecticut Post said.
He had claimed that the state failed to adequately protect the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
"I received new evidence on security at the school, which I need to evaluate," Pinsky said Monday.
Once that happens, he may re-submit the paperwork, Pinsky said
Pinsky said the claim was “about improving school security, not about money.”