Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

Sandy Hook survivor seeks permission to sue Connecticut for $100M

article:340071:41::0
By JohnThomas Didymus     Dec 29, 2012 in Crime
Newtown - The family of a six-year-old survivor of the Sandy Hook massacre is seeking permission to sue the state of Connecticut for $100 million as damages the child suffered from witnessing the horrific shooting in which 20 of her school mates were killed.
The child, who has not been publicly identified, was at Sandy Hook Elementary school on the day Adam Lanza went berserk, broke into the school building and murdered 20 first-graders and six members of the staff before turning the gun on himself.
According to The Harford Courant, a New Haven attorney Irving Pinsky, has filed a notice with the state of Connecticut's Claims Commissioner Paul Vance Jr., seeking permission to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of the 6-year-old Sandy Hook Elementary school student who survived the mass shooting earlier this month.
The Harford Courant explains that the parents must seek permission to sue the state because the state enjoys "sovereign immunity" against such lawsuits unless permission is granted.
The Inquisitr reports that although many lives were saved due to the heroic act of some school teachers, the parents of the child bringing the claim say the state failed in its duty to protect young children at the school. According to The Hartford Courant, in the notice of claim, Pinsky wrote: "The State Board of Education, Connecticut Department of Education and State Commissioner of Education failed to take steps to protect said minor child from foreseeable harm in ways including, but not limited to, failure to provide a safe school setting at Sandy Hook Elementary School..."
According to Pinsky, the incident has caused the child, identified as "Jill Doe," irreversible damage. Pinsky said: “As a consequence, the … child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined.”
The Hartford Courant reports Pinsky said the child, along with others, suffered significant trauma from the use of the school's intercom during the shooting. He said: “She was in her classroom, and over the loudspeaker came the horrific confrontation between the fellow who shot everybody and other people... Her friends were killed. That’s pretty traumatic.”
NBC Connecticut reports Pinsky added: "She lost a lot of friends that were killed and she really suffered through the horrors of listening to this."
According to The Harford Courant, Pinsky said he hopes to review the evidence and prove that Sandy Hook Elementary massacre was "foreseeable." NBC Connecticut reports he said: "The state could have, there's a whole lot of architectural designs they can use in schools to make it much harder to happen. Usually a fellow like Adam Lanza would have been known as a potential problem to the police."
Pinsky also explained that he filed the notice in order to "freeze" the evidence before insurance companies can "shape" it. He said: "This way the state of Connecticut will get the notice and they will have the attorney general's office and their investigators see what happened and why the school was not protected."
article:340071:41::0
More about sandy hook, Connecticut, Sue
More news from

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers