Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

Indian gang-rape victim dies in Singapore hospital

By Leo Reyes     Dec 28, 2012 in Crime
The 23-year-old Indian woman who was gang-raped by a group of men inside a bus in New Delhi, has died in Singapore on Saturday, an official of a Singapore hospital treating her said.
As reported on BBC News "The patient passed away peacefully at 4:45am on 29 Dec 2012," a statement from the hospital said.
"The patient had remained in an extremely critical condition since admission to Mount Elizabeth Hospital," a statement from hospital chief executive Kelvin Loh said.
"She had suffered from severe organ failure following serious injuries to her body and brain. She was courageous in fighting for her life for so long against the odds but the trauma to her body was too severe for her to overcome," the statement went on.
"We are humbled by the privilege of being tasked to care for her in her final struggle," Mr Loh said.
The rape victim was earlier flown to Singapore by the Indian government reportedly on recommendation of doctors in India who initially treated her, for specialist treatment
Reuters reported that some medical experts in India said the move to send the victim to Singapore was a risky decision given her serious condition. Doctors claim she was already receiving ample medical attention in India.
"T.C.A. Raghavan, Indian High Commissioner to Singapore, briefing reporters early on Saturday before the woman died, declined to comment on reports in India accusing the government of sending her to Singapore to minimize the possible backlash in the event of her death," Reuters wrote.
As reported on Digital Journal, the still unidentified victim was gang-raped by six drunken men inside a bus she was riding for about an hour. After the brutal attack, the helpless woman was thrown outside the moving bus.
The victim sustained massive injuries after the perpetrators reportedly hit her with an iron rod before she was thrown away, the report added. Read more:
Meanwhile, another rape victim committed suicide after she was reportedly gang-raped by a group of men barely a week after the 23-year-old rape victim died in Singapore
Digital Journal reports: "The girl was found dead from swallowing poison. In her suicide note, the girl accused the police of humiliating her by calling her to the police station several times and asking her uncomfortable questions. It is believed that the young men responsible for raping her hold influential positions in the area."Read more:
The series of horrifying and brutal assault on helpless women in India in recent days spawned massive protest from the people, demanding speedy justice for the victims and asking government to consider death penalty for perpetrators.
The government says, the demands of the protesters are being addressed and called on them to calm down to avoid violence on the streets.
More about Rape, gangrape, India, Women's rights
More news from