Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDelhi rape victim trying to stay alive as her condition worsens

By Can Tran     Dec 28, 2012 in World
New Delhi - The female victim of a brutal gang rape back in December 16, currently recovering in a hospital in Singapore, is currently struggling to stay alive as her vitals are dropping.
The unidentified female victim who was subjected to a brutal gang-rape on a bus in New Delhi, currently undergoing treatment at the Mouth Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore, is in a battle to stay alive. On December 16, the female was riding on a bus when she was assaulted by the perpetrators who were six drunken men. Not only did they assault her, they did worse. They raped her for almost an hour and tossed her out of the bus as it was moving. But, it wasn't before the six men decided to beat the victim with an iron rod. As a result, the female victim has sustained massive injuries.
According to Dr. Kelvin Loh, the CEO of the Mount Elizabeth Hospital, things aren't turning so well for her. The victim's conditions are very bad, as it is reported. It is reported that the victim's life signs are decreasing; not only that, the victim has gone through organ failure. Currently, she's on the following: maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal does of antibiotics, and on immune system stimulants. Despite being on all of those, the female victim is in a difficult fight to remain alive. In short, the deck is stacked against the victim's favor. So far, this has sparked national outrage throughout India.
The assault took place on December 16. The father of Vinay Kumar, one of the accused perpetrators of the gang rape, was interviewed. According to Kumar's father, his son should be punished if he is found guilty.
In short, it is unknown if the female victim will make it or not. Currently, the victim's family is by her side.
Recently, there is another incident that can be stacked onto the brutal gang rape that took place after the mass protests that resulted after what happened. A 17-year-old girl, whose name wasn't given out, committed suicide.
The teenage girl was found dead on Wednesday night. Her method of death was swallowing and ingesting poison. Before taking her own life, the teenage victim left a suicide note. In the suicide note, the victim talked about being gang-raped back in mid-November during the Diwali Festival. But, the authorities didn't make a formal case until two weeks later after the incident. However, back then, this gang-rape incident didn't spark the national outrage as the incident that took place on the bus.
It also reported that the teenage victim was pressured by the police to drop the case. That's not all. Not only did the police pressure the girl to drop the case, the police pressured the girl to marry one of the rapists. According to the victim's sister, she was urged to marry one of the attackers or accept a cash settlement.
These two gang-rape attacks are part of a bigger problem when it comes to women's rights in India. According to the reports, the number of reported rape cases has been going up each year in India. This is from official figures. It further points out that in New Delhi, there were more than 600 reported rapes this year. However, these are all the reported rapes. With that said, there are plenty of rapes that have gone unreported. It is unknown what the those figures are.
India's government plans to introduce a “name and shame” plan to combat the problem. However, this can be perceived as placing a carpet to hide a very big hole on the ground and hope that nobody decides to step on it. In a Washington Post blog, one protester talked about how women are harassed at the police stations when they report sexual violence. Also in the blog, it may seem that “name and shame” isn't enough for the protesters. They are calling for punishments such as the death penalty, chemical castration, etc. The “name and shame” also drives concerns of people angered at such incidents being driven to take the law into their own hands. In short, “name and shame” might not be the best long term solution put out by the Indian government.
These two gang-rape incidents are an example of the women's rights situation in India. While this is not even remotely related to the two gang-rape incidents, one has to take a look at the death of 31-year-old Savita Halappanavar, who worked as a dentist in Ireland. While working in Ireland, Halappanavar was a citizen of India. Halappanavar was pregnant; but, she was losing the baby. Not being able to save the baby, Halappanavar opted for an abortion. Due to Irish law, abortions weren't legal. Halappanavar ended up dying of septicemia and organ failure.
Due to Halappanavar being an Indian citizen, her death ended up getting India's attention. There were protests in New Delhi, from members of India's opposition party the Bharatiya Janata, taking place in front of the Irish embassy.
On December 19, the Irish Government had announced it would draft new legislation that gives circumstances in which abortion will be legal.
Ultimately, these cases give a glimpse on India's human rights let alone women's rights situation.
UPDATE: The 23-year-old gang rape victim has died. According to Dr. Kelvin Loh, the time of death is 4:45 AM.
More about delhi india, Delhi gang rape, Delhi gang rape victim, delhi bus rape, Rape
More news from
Latest News
Top News