People affected by allergies to dust, nuts and other substances can often suffer worse at Christmas time compared to other times of the year. To help reduce the allergy impact the Gottlieb Memorial Hospital has issued some tips.
Lots of holiday favorites can trigger or irritate allergies, from food and pets to wood-burning fires and seasonal greenery. Not to mention those allergic to nuts. Oh, and artificial trees. And scented candles. All is not bleak, however, for allergy suffers if the risk to allergic materials is avoided.
The latest tips for an allergy free Christmas have been up together by Joseph Leija, MD. Based on a news release from the Gottlieb Memorial Hospital, here are the top five hints:
1 -- Use an Artificial Tree
The clean fragrance from the balsam, fir and pine trees available on every corner tree lot is pleasing yet also aggravates respiratory conditions. Not only is the scent a problem, but the dust, mites and other pollutants on the live tree wreak havoc on your airways and nasal passages. Also, the water in the tree holder also grows stagnant and collects mold, which is detrimental to those with allergies.
2 -- Avoid Scented Candles or Home Fragrance Oils
The popularity of home fragrance products and scented specialty candles reaches its pinnacle during the holidays -- and so do allergies. Unplug the electric scent distributors and take a pass on the potpourri simmering pots. The fragrance aggravates the sinuses and respiratory system so sufferers can't breathe.
3 -- Avoid Real Poinsettias and Fresh Floral Arrangements
Can the pretty poinsettia trigger an allergy? The moist soil encourages the growth of mold. And if there is mold in your house, you are breathing mold spores. This causes the passageways to swell and restrict airflow and can even causes skin rashes.
4 -- Keep The Humidity In Check
High humidity can trigger allergies. Warm and cool air humidifiers are up and running in many homes now that the cold, dry air is here. "Get a gauge and keep the humidity no higher than 48 to 50 percent," said Dr. Leija. "Too much humidity encourages the growth of mold, which triggers allergic reactions."
5 -- Store Holiday Decorations in Large Plastic Tubs
Save yourself some sneezes next year by purchasing large resealable plastic tubs for storage of decorations. Keep them dusted during the year to avoid build up.
What do people think? Good advice? Or are there other useful tips?