A North Carolina man received a surprise when he was attempting to cook dinner for his family. When he opened up a bag of okra, a frozen frog was found inside.
Edward Vargas was making dinner and was about to cook up some okra. As he was pouring the okra into the pan, he noticed a frozen frog inside.
The Gaston Gazette reported Vargas' son saw the frog first.
“My son said, ‘It has the shape of a frog.’ And then he said ‘It is a frog,’” Vilmania Vargas told the paper. “And I thought they were joking.”
However, he was not kidding. Vargas told the media he put the frog back into the bag and popped it into the freezer. The Vargas' contacted Pictsweet, the company that distributed the vegetable; the family said the company apologized and was very concerned and responsive.
Pictsweet sent the family a cooler packed with dry ice so the bag of okra could be returned and examined. Once received, Vargas packed up the frozen frog and okra to send back.
Vargas has told the media he does not want to make a big deal out of this incident nor does he care about a refund, but was concerned about this type of incident occurring again. He indicated he wants to alert people to remember to inspect foods before cooking them as he said "it could happen to someone else".