Just when you might have thought it safe to go home and start watching curling or classic bowling, the NHL and NHLPA are showing signs there's hope for hockey. Again. This time word comes from the NHL that talks could resume this week.
There were reports on Saturday that there had been low-level communication between the two sides after talks blew-up dramatically Thursday. Now Gary Bettman's deputy commissioner, Bill Daly reports he emailed the Associated Press to say he's "trying to set up something for this week, but nothing finalized yet."
This is the same Daly who issued a statement Friday in the wake of that Thursday disaster that said the NHL had no more ideas and had no intention of contacting Donald Fehr and the NHLPA. He wondered at that time if Fehr and co. had ideas on moving forward and said the NHL would be willing to listen if they did.
No word on who contacted who first this time around but it appears the off-again/on-again talks will soon be on-again. That is until, of course they are off-again...again.
To date the league has lost over 400 games, the all-star game and the Winter Classic.