Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan turns blind after drinking vodka

By Robin Okuthe     Dec 5, 2012 in Odd News
A 65-year-old man in New Zealand who lost his sight after mixing vodka and diabetes medication regained his sight after taking a bottle of whiskey.
Denis Duthie, who works as a catering tutor at Western Institute of Technology, had been celebrating his parent's 50th wedding anniversary by having a few vodkas from a bottle that his students had given him as a gift, reports the New Zealand Herald.
"I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon," Duthie said. "I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but I'd just gone completely blind."
Apparently, Duthie had a bad diabetic reaction, which caused him to end up losing his sight.
After attempts to sleep off the blindness failed, he decided to seek medication. He was afterwards rushed to Taranaki Base Hospital, where doctors quickly suspected methanol poisoning -- which causes formaldehyde to accumulate in the system causing loss of sight.
The best way to treat such poisoning is to offset it by administering ethanol -- a type of alcohol found in whiskey, suggests the Elite Daily. To stop the methanol from metabolizing further into formaldehyde, doctors at the hospital administered ethanol via his gastro-intestinal tract, which failed and after the supply ran dry, a worker at the hospital was sent to a nearby liquor store to purchase a $55 bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label.
“I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes. I thought it was pretty bloody good – I’m alive. The hospital was absolutely awesome. Couldn’t have been better,” Duthie told the Herald.
More about Whiskey, alcohol blindness, vodka blindness, ethanol and blindness, alcohol and blindmess
 
Latest News
Top News