Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageIn 911 call, Belcher's mom begs dying girlfriend to stay alive

By Yukio Strachan     Dec 5, 2012 in Crime
Kansas City - In chilling 911 recordings released on Wednesday morning, Jovan Belcher's mother can be heard pleading with her son's dying girlfriend to stay alive after the Kansas City Chiefs linebacker fatally shot her.

Visit for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Belcher's mom, Cheryl Shepherd, 54, called 911 asking for an ambulance Saturday morning shortly after Belcher shot 22-year-old Kasandra Perkins 9 times at their Kansas City home.
"She's still breathing, but barely," Shepherd told the 911 dispatcher, in the call released by the Kansas City Fire Department . "Please hurry. I don't know how many times he got her. "
As transcribed by, a baby can be heard crying in the background while Shepherd speaks with the dispatcher:
"Okay, listen ma’am, is she awake?" the dispatcher asks.
"Just barely, she's just barely open," Shepherd responds.
"Can she hear what you're saying?"
"Yes, she is moving when I talk to her. Please, God," Shepherd says.
"Okay. Is she bleeding?" the dispatcher asks.
"Yes, she is," Shepherd says, as the baby began to cry.
"Where is she bleeding from?"
"I can't tell, in the back, it looks like it," Shepherd tells her, anxiety rising in her voice.
A second dispatcher from the Kansas City Police Department then gets on the line and asks Shepherd where her son is.
"He left," Shepherd says. "Please just get this ambulance here. Please."
Shepherd also is heard encouraging Perkins to stay alive.
"Kasandra, stay with me, the ambulance is on the way, you hear me? You hear me? Kasandra! Hey! Stay with me!" Shepherd yells.
Police arrived at the couple's home at the couple’s home on the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue, at about 7:50 a.m. Saturday morning to find Perkins' body on the floor of the master bathroom with multiple gunshot wounds, according to a police incident report.
Paramedics took Perkins to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Twenty minutes later the police were called again, this time to Arrowhead Stadium’s practice facility. Belcher was outside the facility’s front doors in his car with a different handgun to his head, talking to Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel.
“I did it. I killed her,” police said Belcher told the team’s general manager.
“Guys, I have to do this,” Belcher said, according to police. “I got to go. I can’t be here.”
He then dropped to his knees, made the sign of the cross and turned the gun on himself, police said.
Belcher's mother was given temporary custody of the couple's daughter.
More about Cheryl Shepherd, Jovan Belcher, Kasandra Perkins, 911 call, murdersuicide
More news from