Contributors to Digital Journal have a chance to win cash prizes in a new photo contest available in December. The Photo Essay Contest invites any Digital Journal member to submit blogs and articles featuring at least three original photos on any topic.
Running from Dec. 1 to Dec. 31 inclusive, this contest is open to any member of DigitalJournal.com.
The challenge? Compile a photo essay with at least 3 photos showcasing an interesting moment in your community or during your travels. You can photograph Christmas preparations in a busy neighbourhood; a visit from a celebrity; a breaking news event; sports games or parades; arts festivals or concerts; and much much more!
Your photography can relate to any subject, from sports to business to entertainment and everything in between.
HOW TO ENTER: Your photos must be included in an article (if you're a paid Digital Journalist) or within a blog post (if you're just a blogger contributor), and you must include in the headline “Photo Essay.” That's it. You don't need to email the entries to editors.
There is no limit to how many times you can enter the contest. You can contribute as many photo essays as you like. All photos must be shot by the author of the article or blog post. Verification of authenticity may be required. You are required to include at least three original photos but note there is no limit to the maximum amount of photos to include in each entry.
ELIGIBILITY: Any member of DigitalJournal.com may enter this contest. Your account cannot be inactive or closed to be eligible for the contest. Digital Journal staff and relatives of staff are ineligible to enter the contest.
All photo essays must be original work and never published before, including previously posted on DigitalJournal.com
DEADLINE: The entries must be published on DigitalJournal.com between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) Dec. 1, 2012 and 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) on Dec. 31, 2012.
PRIZES: The first place winner will receive $100, and a second and third place winners will take home $50. All prizes will be awarded within 30 days of Contest judging via PayPal to those addresses provided by Contest winners on their Member Registration Form. Prizes are subject to substitution by products of equal or greater value without notice.
The winning entries will also be promoted on DigitalJournal.com and via our social media channels, such as our Facebook and Twitter feeds.
JUDGING: Entries will be judged by the sole discretion of staff members of DigitalJournal.com, and a winner will be announced in January 2013. Entries will be judged on journalistic value, composition, clarity, realism, photographic skill, timeliness, and a flair for the unexpected. You may use your camera of choice, or a cellphone, for your photo essay.
It should be noted Digital Journal encourages "liking" the blogs and articles you believe should win the contest, as Judges will take the popularity of a photo essay into consideration, although the criteria mentioned above will take priority over an entry's amount of Likes.
Winners will be notified of their win by email within 30 days of the contest deadline.
PUBLICATION: Owner of copyright retains all copyright on any photo submitted to the Contest. Digital Journal, Inc. reserves publication rights of winning photo essays and photographs in electronic media, as well as for possible use in future promotional material of the Contest. All photos, wherever promoted or displayed, will be credited to the photographer.
CLAIM OF OWNERSHIP AND MODEL RELEASES: Contestants must own all rights to the works submitted and are solely responsible for obtaining model releases, when applicable. As such, Contestants hold the publisher and Contest sponsors harmless from any breech of copyright in Canada, The United States and elsewhere and from consequential litigation.
RESPONSIBILITY: Digital Journal, Inc. cannot be held liable for any failure of the Web site during the Contest. Digital Journal, Inc. is not responsible for loss, damage, technical problems or delays that may occur during digital transfer of images.
ACCEPTANCE OF RULES: Participation in the Contest indicates complete acceptance of the Contest rules set forth herein.
• Rules subject to change without notice. Digital Journal reserves the right to update this page at any time.
• The contest is open to citizens of any country in which PayPal operates (see list).
• Decisions of the contest judges are final.
• By entering this contest or claiming the prize, entrants authorize the use, without additional compensation of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and/or news article and/or blog and/or photographs and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes, related to this contest, in any manner and in any medium (including without limitation, radio broadcasts, newspapers and other publications and in television or film releases, slides, videotape, distribution over the Internet and picture data storage) which Digital Journal, Inc. may deem appropriate.
• By entering this contest, or accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that Digital Journal, Inc. will not be held liable for any loss, damages or injury associated with entering this contest, accepting or using this prize(s).
• This contest is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal laws.
• By entering this contest, you agree Digital Journal, Inc. is not responsible or liable in the event of lost, removed, or missing entries.
• Digital Journal reserves the rights to delete any entry without explanation.
• Each entrant is responsible for maintaining a copy of their entry/submission.