Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageJesse Jackson Jr. checks out, disappears again

By Larry Clifton     Nov 14, 2012 in Politics
Chicago - Re-elected without giving a single campaign speech or showing up for a day of work since June, Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. has left the political cover of the Mayo Clinic a week after elections.
Meanwhile, the current whereabouts of the stealth Chicago Democrat are unknown, according to a Chicago Tribune report published Tuesday.
U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. left the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. today, clinic spokesman Nick Hanson said.
“He is no longer a patient here," Hanson said. “I don’t know where he is.”
Jackson, reportedly under federal investigation for alleged misuse of campaign funds, mysteriously disappeared in June and has not attended his congressional voting responsibilities since that time.
Jackson, who is married with children, also became the subject of criticism and rumor over his alleged infidlities prior to disappearing.
However Jackson’s performance was approved by his district's voters by an overwhelming majority of 63 percent on Election Day. After effortlessly defeating his opponent, Jackson released a statement of thanks to his supporters but did not appear in public.
Meanwhile, Jackson’s colleagues from the House of Representatives returned to Washington this week to represent their constituents as Jackson remained absent and his exact whereabouts, once again, a mystery.
Jackson is believed to be somewhere in the Minnesota area, according to a report.
Jackson was diagnosed with a mental disorder months after he disappeared in June of this year. The Chicago congressman, son of activist Jesse Jackson, reportedly suffers from bipolar disorder. He re-entered Mayo in October for a brief stay including election week after spending weeks there last summer.
Jackson initially checked in at the Sierra Tucson facility in Arizona after beginning his leave of absence.
At Mayo, Hanson referred questions to Jackson’s congressional office that he said may have additional information.
In Washington, Jackson spokesman Frank Watkins was mum on the congressman’s whereabouts and condition.
Jackson’s father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, was contacted by the Tribune and he reportedly said he was unaware that his son had left Mayo, according to their report published Tuesday.
“He’s still there, as far as I know,” the elder Jackson said. “I know he’s still there.”
Conversely, Chicago Sun-Times reporter Michael Sneed reported Tuesday that Jesse Jackson Sr. and his wife Jacqueline were at Mayo Tuesday when their son was released, however Junior's wife Sandy, also a Chicago politician, was not.
However Mayo confirmed that the congressman had indeed changed his status from inpatient to outpatient Tuesday and left the facility.
Jesse Jackson, who was seen socializing in restaurant lounges before re-entering Mayo the last time, is under investigation for alleged misuse of campaign funds to decorate his Washington home and gifting a $40,000 Rolex watch to a female friend.
Jackson is also under investigation in connection to attempts made by former governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois to sell President Barack Obama’s former Senate seat.
More about Jesse Jackson Jr, Chicago politics, Election 2012, sandy jackson chicago, us congress jesse jackson
More news from
Latest News
Top News