Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageUS troops kill 4 Afghan children in firefight with Taliban

article:335443:10::0
By Brett Wilkins     Oct 24, 2012 in World
US troops engaged in a firefight with Taliban fighters killed four Afghan children tending to their livestock in Logar province on Saturday.
The New York Times reports that the incident occurred in the Baraki Barak district south of Kabul, site of many attacks by Afghan resistance fighters attempting to control one of the main routes to and from the capital.
A spokesman for the provincial governor said that the firefight began around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday after Taliban gunmen opened fire on a NATO foot patrol.
"In order to push back the enemy ambush the coalition forces exchanged fire with the insurgents," the spokesman said. "Some villagers, including children, were caught in the fire exchange between the two sides-- as many as four children who had brought their livestock for grazing in the nearby farmland. According to locals the children were killed."
The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, apologized for the incident and said that an investigation is underway.
"In addition to the insurgents killed during the operation, ISAF may be responsible for the unintended, yet nonetheless tragic, death of three Afghan civilians," an ISAF statement read.
The office of Afghan President Hamid Karzai released a statement blasting "the killing of four innocent children."
"Despite repeated pledges by NATO to avoid civilian casualties, innocent lives, including children, are still being lost," the statement said.
Civilian casualties caused by US and NATO forces have often stoked tensions between the Afghan government and people and the foreign forces that have been conducting a war against Taliban and al-Qaeda fighters in the country since late 2001. President Karzai has been so frustrated with the killing innocent civilians by US-led forces that he once threatened to join the Taliban.
While the Taliban is responsible for the majority of innocent Afghans killed during the 11-year war, US and NATO forces have killed thousands of men, women and children. There have been two major recent incidents-- last month, a NATO air strike killed eight women and girls out gathering firewood in Alingar district, Laghman province. And last week, Digital Journal reported that another NATO air strike killed three children in Nawa district, Helmand province.
article:335443:10::0
More about Afghanistan, War in afghanistan, afghan civilian casualties, Hamid karzai
More news from

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers