While the Afghanistan War has been a bloody brawl for American troops, the third-world worn-torn country is safer than the streets of Chicago when it comes to body counts.
Gun violence in Chicago, home to some of the nation's strictest gun control laws, is more common than in Los Angeles, New York City and even Kabul during 2012.
The Chicago Tribune regularly lists body counts and casualty reports, including a Monday report listing three dead and 11 wounded since Sunday afternoon. As is often the case in Chicago’s drive-by and other shootings, many of yesterday's shooting victims are teens. Five out of 14 victims of the overnight shootings were under the age of 16.
Chicago, once bloodied by violent mafia turf wars, has once again earned the national spotlight as the city of drive-by shootings
This Sunday, the shootings began when two men, ages 28 and 30, were killed in a 5:30 p.m. shooting on the 9400 block of South Rhodes Avenue in the Burnside neighborhood on the Far South Side, according to the paper.
A man appeared from a gangway and began shooting, killing both men, also hitting a 23-year-old pregnant woman. After shooting both men in the head, the shooter hopped into a dark van and sped away; the suspect was not apprehended. The pregnant woman remains hospitalized in critical condition.
A 25-year-old man was shot about 10:40 p.m. during a robbery on the 100 block of East 68th Street in the Park Manor neighborhood on the South Side, said News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro, based on a preliminary report.
The man was reportedly walking along a sidewalk when a group of males robbed him, police said. When he tried to run away, he was shot in the lower leg.
Around 2 a.m., three men, all reportedly in their 20s, were shot on the 6900 block of South Morgan Street in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, according to police. A 28-year-old man was released from the hospital after being struck in the foot, and the others, ages 25 and 26, were being treated at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County and Holy Cross Hospital. The latter were reportedly listed in stable condition.
A teenage girl and a 22-year-old man were struck by bullets in a drive-by shooting at about 9:20 p.m. on the 1500 block of South Kedvale Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood on the West Side, police said.
The 14-year-old girl and the man had been standing near a street corner when someone in a light-colored car passing by opened fire on them.
Earlier Sunday, around 4:30 p.m., a 14-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder along the 800 block of East 87th Street in the East Chatham neighborhood on the South Side. The teen was taken to Comer Children's Hospital on the University of Chicago Hospital campus and was listed as being stabilized.
At about 10:05 p.m. Sunday two 15-year-old boys were shot on the 6900 block of South Halsted Street in Englewood, police said. The boys did not suffer life-threatening injuries and both were reported to be in good condition.
Also on Sunday, a 14-year-old boy was shot in the left leg at about 2:45 p.m. on the 6200 block of South Rhodes Avenue in the West Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side, police said. The teen was taken to Comer Children's, where he was listed in good condition, police said.
Despite another deadly weekend marred by shootings, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, former senior aide to President Barack Obama has said police are working overtime to control a significant increase in gun violence in 2012.
Meanwhile, Cook County is considering a new tax on ammo to quell the violence.