Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageToddler Sonny Rees, 2, served 40% whiskey at Frankie and Benny's

article:334674:12::0
By JohnThomas Didymus     Oct 11, 2012 in Health
Swansea - Sonny Rees, on his second birthday, drank half a glass of 40 percent proof whiskey through a straw, after an employee at Frankie and Benny's restaurant in Swansea accidentally served him spirits instead of the fruit juice his mother ordered.
According to the Daily Mail, Nina and Howell Rees and six other family members were at the local Frankie and Benny's on Sonny's birthday. Nina ordered a fruit cordial for Sonny, but the staff who served them got the order mixed up with an order for whiskey and water by a group of revelers at the bar.
When Sonny began acting funny, pulling faces and fidgeting on his chair each time he took a sip of the strong alcoholic drink, his mother became suspicious and caught the whiff of spirits. Nina Rees, 34, said: "We went to the restaurant just after midday, and I had ordered him lime juice and water, his favorite. The drinks arrived and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things. We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking. I took the glass from him and took a sip myself. It was whiskey, I would say a double. As soon as I sipped it I had the slight burning feeling in my throat and warming in my chest. Sonny had taken about ten sips - he was obviously intoxicated. I immediately went into a panic and a rage - I was crying my eyes out."
The Telegraph reports that when Nina complained to the manageress, she was incredulous until she took a sip. Nina Rees complained: "The reaction of staff at first was awful. They said it couldn't have happened and just went and got him some water and walked off. They more or less dismissed me. I called NHS Direct who told me to take him straight to A&E."
Sonny's distraught mother rushed him to an accident and emergency unit where doctors placed him under close watch for signs. Sonny had fallen into an intoxicated sleep by the time they arrived at the Morriston Hospital in Swansea. The Telegraph reports the little boy vomited some of the whiskey.
The restaurant apologized later and offered the family a 50 percent discount. The manageress phoned Sonny's parents at their home in Pontarddulais Swansea to apologize, the Daily Mal reports.
A Frankie and Benny's spokesman, said: "The company is incredibly sorry for what happened. It was a human error and we are putting measures in place to ensure it never happens again."
Thankfully, the two-year-old has recovered completely.
article:334674:12::0
More about Toddler, Whiskey, Birthday bash, Sonny Rees, frankie and benny's
More news from

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers