Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.
Connect
Log In Sign Up
In the Media

article imageVideo: Edward Archbold dies after winning roach-eating contest

article:334479:19::0
By JohnThomas Didymus
Oct 9, 2012 in Health
1 more article on this subject:
Oct 9, 2012 - Man dies following insect eating contest - 5 comments
Share
West Palm Beach - Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach, fell ill, threw up, collapsed and died after winning a roach eating contest in South Florida. He won the contest after eating dozens of roaches and worms.
CNN reports that Archbold was among about 30 contestants who participated in a roach-eating contest Friday night at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, 40 miles north of Miami.
According to The Huffington Post, Archbold won a $850 female ivory ball python. MSN Now reports he had intended to sell the ball python to a friend.
According to AP, Broward Sheriff's Office said in a statement released Monday that soon after he won the contest, Archbold fell ill and collapsed. He dialed 911 himself before he collapsed, CNN reports.
He was rushed in an ambulance to the North Broward Medical Center where he died. Authorities say they are awaiting result of autopsy conducted to determine the exact cause of his death.
However, Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California, said that was the first time he heard that someone died after eating roaches. AP reports he said: "Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat. Some people do have allergies to roaches... but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."
The Sheriff's office confirmed that none of the other contestants took ill after the contest.
The store owner Ben Siegel, said Archbold appeared healthy before and during the contest. He said: "We feel terribly awful. He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice."
CNN affiliate WPLG, reports Siegel said: "Very saddened by this. I mean, it was a shock. Eddie was a very nice guy. We just met him that night, but everybody that works here was very fond of him. He was outgoing, he was the life of the party, and he really made our night more fun."
According to The Huffington Post, Roberth Farthing posted a comment on Ben Siegel Reptiles Facebook page: "None of us in that competition thought this would happen."
Siegel will probably not incur any liabilities over the death of Archbold. WPLG reports that Luke Lirot, the lawyer represent Ben Siegel Reptiles, said:
"Some facts that have come out include the fact that all participants in the contest were entirely aware of what they were doing and that they signed thorough waivers accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest. The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken form an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles... Mr. Siegel and his staff did all that anyone could to try and help Mr. Archbold, and they send out their deepest sympathy to the family."
Archbold's sister, Tina, said the family is devastated by his death. She said Archbold was an outgoing and friendly person who was also introspective and private.
She said family members are planning his funeral.
article:334479:19::0
More about Cockroach, ben archbold, cockroacheating, Contest, ben siegel
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers