The car believed to have been driven by Wayne Alan Cunningham was found abandoned on a logging road near Longlac, Ontario. It was located in the same general area where the other suspect, David James Leblanc, was captured on Sunday.
UPDATE: The OPP are reporting that a body has been found near the car found on the logging road. Although a formal autopsy has not been conducted, police believe the body is that of Cunningham. Foul play is not suspected.
As Digital Journal reported, the RCMP in Nova Scotia announced last Thursday they had information that Leblanc and Cunningham were headed to Ontario. Both were wanted on charges of forcible confinement and sexual assault. They were believed to be driving a 2003 grey Hyundai Elantra.
Early last week, a 16-year-old boy escaped the house in Upper Chelsea, Nova Scotia where he was allegedly held captive by the two men who had kidnapped him. The boy, with chains on his wrists and ankles, knocked on people's doors until police arrived.
The boy, who had been living on the street, told police he was forcibly kidnapped, thrown in a van and driven to the house allegedly rented by Leblanc and Cunningham. He was chained up and sexually assaulted by both men during the two week ordeal. At one point, the men discussed selling him.
CBC reports Leblanc, 47, was arrested on Sunday after police received a call about a man wandering around a remote area, about 250 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay. The man was found to be lightly dressed, disoriented, and barefoot in near freezing temperatures. Leblanc has been charged with forcible confinement and sexual assault. He was taken to a Thunder Bay hospital where he remains under guard. Police say he cannot yet be transported back to Nova Scotia due to "medical reasons."
The search for Cunningham, 31, continues and police believe he may be headed for Calgary. The man's parents are urging him to turn himself in. In a statement given to CTV News, they said, "Wayne, stop and give yourself up. They'll get you in the end. They've already got David."
But David Craig, a resident of Leblanc's hometown of Liverpool, doesn't think it will be easy to get Cunningham. Craig said, "He might be hard to catch because he can change himself. He can look like a girl. You'd never know the difference because I seen him dressed like a girl and I thought it was a girl."
Cunningham and Leblanc have been in a relationship for the past 11 years.
The Chronicle Herald reports Cunningham was convicted of 25 offences in November 2006 and received a penitentiary sentence. Some of the offences were committed with Leblanc who was convicted of 21 offences and also served time in the penitentiary. Cunningham's offences included theft, break and enter, forgery, fraud, and impersonation. He has no previous convictions for sexual offences or crimes involving violence.
Cunningham told the Parole Board that he committed the offences in order to survive. The Board noted "issues around sexual identity in your teens is believed to have ill effects on your self-esteem."
Yesterday, the RCMP released new pictures of Cunningham to aid in the manhunt.