Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMissing teen who tweeted of home invasion, found safe

By Greta McClain     Oct 4, 2012 in World
Clark - At 3:12 PM - 30 Sep 12 Kara Alongi tweeted "There is somone in my hour ecall 911", a tweet that turned her family's world upside and started a #helpfindkara phenomenon on Twitter.
It seemed like a normal Sunday afternoon in the Alongi home. Kara was busy studying while her mother, father and her twin 11-year-old brothers were getting ready to go to one of the boy’s hockey games. Kara, 16, was supposed to go with the rest of the family to the hockey game, but said she had a headache and did not feel like going. After the rest of the family left for the game, Kara also left her New Jersey home and for reasons still unknown, posting her now infamous tweet. Her tweet was re-tweeted more then 35,000 times.
Kara made the false tweet and then disappeared, leaving her family and friends distraught and wondering what had happened to her. The family now have answers to what happened to her, even if they don't know why it happened.
Kara Alongi Missing Person Flyer
Kara Alongi Missing Person Flyer
Kara Alongi Missing Flyer Downloads
K-9 units with the Clark Police Department tracked Kara's her scent through the back door of her home and through a neighbor's yard. They also spoke with a cab driver who stated she had called them for a ride to the train station.
NBC News reports Kara called a cab voluntarily and had the cab take her to the Railway train station. Security cameras at the train station show her at the depot carrying a large purse and backpack. Officials at the train depot state she bought a one-way ticket for a train bound to New York City’s Penn Station.
New Jersey State Police found Kara at a rest stop near exit 1 on the New Jersey Turnpike at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday. She was unharmed and was taken to a nearby hospital for evaluations. Police notified her parents she had been found and they have been reunited with their daughter.
Kara was transferred to a hospital closer to her home Tuesday evening for further evaluation. Clark Police Chief Alan Scherb says she was released from the hospital a short time later and has returned home with her family.
Kara's mother, Kim, told "This was totally out of character. We had no idea any problems were existent at school … nothing at home. So it’s a total shock. (The bag) looks like it’s packed pretty full. I have no idea what was in it. I’m hoping maybe a warm jacket or sweat shirt."
Other than a family trip once or twice a year, Kara and her family do not have any connection to New York City. Kim says does not know why her daughter would purchase a one-way ticket to New York City.
More about Twitter, Teenager, RUNAWay, Tweet, Kara Alongi
More news from
Latest News
Top News