Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.
Connect
Log In Sign Up
In the Media

article imageWhite House 'hiding from reality' in Libya Embassy response

article:333199:21::0
By Larry Clifton
Sep 20, 2012 in Politics
Share
Washington - Immediately after the embassy attack that killed U.S. envoy Chris Stevens and three staff members, the Obama administration dispatched U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice to five Sunday television talk shows to explain what happened.
She got it wrong.
Rice told CBS and others that the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi was not premeditated, directly contradicting top Libyan officials who say the attack was planned in advance, according to a USA Today report.
“Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous – not a premeditated – response to what had transpired in Cairo.”
Many analysts say the Obama administration was "hiding from reality" trying to protect its foreign policy image by leaving the impression there was no planned attack, just a heated protest turned violent.
Even though Libya, a Middle East flash point, has been in chaos and engaged in a civil war, the administration did not dispatch marines to protect the U.S. embassy there prior to the murders.
The Obama administration is now trying to shape a new story, that the embassy killings was a terrorist attack, but it wasn't planned. This as more evidence suggests the contrary.
However, evidence that last week's attack on the Libya consulate was a planned terrorist attack is mounting, calling more attention to Mr. Obama’s foreign policy failures.
CNN, citing an unnamed source, reported that slain U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens had "worried about what he called the never-ending security threats in Benghazi and mentioned his name was on an al Qaeda hit list."
National Counterterrorism Center director Matthew Olsen, at a Senate hearing, seemed to directly dispute the earlier Rice/White House version of a spontaneous attack by unruly demonstrators, saying "I would say, yes, they were killed in course of terrorist attack on our embassy."
White House spokspersons, including Rice, went to great lengths on television talk shows to attribute the deaths of the Americans to protests over an anti-Islam film that got out of control.
As evidence of a well planned attack using rocket propelled grenades and layered assaults from two separate locations mount, Team Obama is beginning to backtrack.
The President "is concerned that violent actions were taken that led to the deaths of four Americans," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.
"He is absolutely concerned that we take the necessary measures to make sure that those who killed Americans are brought to justice," Carney said.
However some analysts say Mr. Obama has raised more questions than answers regarding his foreign policy skills by getting it wrong so publicly on such a key foreign policy incident.
article:333199:21::0
More about obama clinton foreign policy, obama susan rice, investigate libya embassy attack, christopher stevenson
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers