A statement by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula described the U.S. consulate attack in Libya last week as revenge for the killing of al-Qaeda mastermind Sheikh Abu Yahya al-Libi.
The statement said:
"The killing of Sheikh Abu Yahya only increased the enthusiasm and determination of the sons of (Libyan independence hero) Omar al-Mokhtar to take revenge upon those who attack our Prophet." (The Nation)
The statement went on to say:
“The uprising of our people in Libya, Egypt and Yemen against America and its embassies is a sign to notify the United States that its war is not directed against groups and organisations ... but against the Islamic nation that has rebelled against injustice.”
On Sept. 11 al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri released a video confirming the death of Yahya
on June 4, as a result of a drone attack in Pakistan's Waziristan tribal area.
Authorities in Libya have arrested 50 people in connection with the consulate attack. Digital Journal
reported Libyan President Mohamed al-Magarief said he thought the attack was the work of al-Qaeda. He believes the attack was pre-planned and the controversy over the film that has sparked protests was used as a cover for a revenge attack.
According to Al Arabiya
Magarief has now said the attack was the work of "foreigners" who entered Libya several months ago.