Understanding that mobile technology may seem to simplify everyday tasks, users often experience technical hassles and unwanted interruptions on their cellphones. Pew Research Center
decided to assess the commonness of four problems that cell owners might face.
• experience dropped calls
• receive unwanted sales or marketing calls
• get unwanted spam or text
• experience slow download speeds that prevent things from loading as quickly as they would like
Pew’s findings overall are that 88% of American adults have cell phones and these problems occur with some regularity to many of them.
In more detail:
• Over 70% of cell owners experience dropped calls at least occasionally.
• Over 30% of cell owners say they encounter this problem at least a few times a week or more frequently than that.
Unwanted sales or marketing calls
• Nearly 70% of cell owners receive unwanted sales or marketing calls at one time or another.
• 25% of cell owners encounter this problem at least a few times a week or more frequently.
Unwanted spam or text
• Just below 80% of cell phone owners say they use text messaging on their cells.
• Around 70% of those texting say they get unwanted spam or text messages.
• Of those texters, 25% face problems with spam/unwanted texts at least weekly.
Slow download speeds
• 55% of cell phone owners use their phones to browse the Internet, exchange emails, or download apps.
• 77% of cell internet users say they experience slow download speeds that prevent things from loading as quickly as they would like.
• Of those cell internet users, 46% face slow download speeds weekly or more frequently.
Pew state that smartphone owners report higher incidence levels of these problems, compared with other cell owners and are prone to reporting dropped phone calls and slow download speeds.
Pew’s main analyst of the study, Internet Project researcher, Jan Lauren Boyles, interprets the meaning of the findings as:
The big change that mobile connectivity has brought to users is the instant availability of people and data. As mobile owners become fond of just-in-time access to others and as their expectations about getting real-time information rise, they depend on the cell phone's technical reliability. Any problems that snag, stall, or stop users from connecting to the material and people they seek is at least a hassle to them and sometimes is even more disturbing than that in this networked world.
Click here for the full report on Mobile Phone Problems