Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article image$75M lawsuit claims Miss. casino let man drink himself to death

By Brett Wilkins     Jul 28, 2012 in Health
Biloxi - The family of a man who died in a Mississippi casino after drinking massive amounts of alcohol while also taking powerful prescription painkillers is suing for $75 million.
The Associated Press reports that the lawsuit alleges the IP Casino Resort and Spa in Biloxi is responsible for the death of 30-year-old Bryan Lee Glenn, who passed away after an epic gambling and drinking binge in August 2009.
Glenn, along with his mother and brother, lost their Long Beach, Mississippi homes and everything they owned to Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The family relocated to Virginia, but returned to Mississippi in August 2009 to collect a $15,000 check Glenn had won in an earlier lawsuit. They stayed at the IP resort while they searched for a place to live.
After picking up the check, Glenn decided to hit the resort's casino. He bet up to $1,000 per hand of blackjack while knocking back whiskey and cola and tequila shots, two at a time.
It was a dangerous mix. Glenn had been prescribed powerful painkillers including Percocet, morphine and Xanax, and antipsychotic medications, to treat physical injuries, psychosis and hallucinations resulting from traumatic brain and back injuries suffered during two separate vehicle crashes. He was also suicidal and had attempted to kill himself just days before he died.
According to the lawsuit, a blackjack dealer, a pit boss, a waitress and a security guard refused to stop serving Glenn drinks or intervene, even after his family begged them to cut him off.
"He's old enough to make his own decisions," the suit claims a pit boss told Glenn's brother.
The suit also alleges that when Glenn's family finally convinced him to leave the casino, a dealer told him he still had chips.
"Aren't you going to come back and play?" the dealer allegedly asked him.
Glenn did return to the casino and met a prostitute. He gave her money; she stole more cash from his pocket. He then went to the Chill Lounge bar in the casino, where he downed Long Island ice teas until he was booted by security.
His family found him unconscious in his hotel room. By the time an ambulance arrived 20 minutes later, he was already dead.
"Despite their best efforts to save him from harm, Bryan was slowly poisoned while his friend and family... helplessly watched," attorney Michael Holleman wrote in the lawsuit.
A spokeswoman for the casino told the Associated Press that the company does not comment on pending litigation.
More about mississippi casinos, lawsuit claims casino let man drink himself to dea, ip casino resort and spa, bryan lee glenn
More news from
Latest News
Top News

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers