Video ads are becoming a hot favourite with online viewers as viewing figures soar. Eleven billion ads were viewed in June over the web, accounting for 33 percent of all videos streamed. Google, Yahoo and Facebook lead the way.
ComScore reports that more than 180 million U.S. Internet users watched 33 billion online content videos in June. 11 billion of these were video ads.
YouTube.com pushed up Google Sites' position to first with 154.5 million unique viewers, Yahoo! Sites came in second with 51.5 million and Facebook.com third with 49 million.
Other findings from June 2012 include:
• nearly 85% of the U.S. Internet audience viewed online video
• the duration of the average online video was 6.8 minutes
• the duration of the average online video ad was 0.4 minutes
• video ads accounted for 25 % of all videos viewed
• video ads accounted for 2% of all minutes spent viewing video online
It is not surprising that the New York Times reports a change in viewing habits since comScore statistics show that 4.6 billion minutes were spent watching online video ads in June. Also, a recent Digital Journal article states that the latest Internet Advertising Revenue report showed a rise of 22 percent in advertising revenue since 2010. Revenue of $26 billion was reported in 2010, last reports show that this figure has now reached US$31 billion.