A Toronto woman received an unusual awakening when she got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and found a python on the floor.
Rachel Desorcy is a visitor from out of town and stumbled upon a snake in the bathroom of the apartment in which she was staying.
According to the Toronto Star, the woman called police around 11:30 p.m. on Sunday to report the snake.
After Desorcy called police, they came and trapped the snake in a bucket, bringing it to an animal shelter, reported City TV.
The python was determined to be a young one and was .6 meters (about two feet) in length. No one is clear how the snake ended up in the Annex apartment.
“I can only guess that it came up through the toilet. I hear stories!” Staff Sgt. Robert Stewart said. The officer said the snake is probably someone's pet.
Robert Meerburg, Toronto Animal Services said this type of snake usually comes through plumbing and has the ability to squeeze through small spaces. He compared its bite to a bee sting.
"They are relatively docile reptiles. A lot of people have them as pets and they are allowed within the city of Toronto."
Ben Lovatt, who runs the Earth Exotics pet store and owns pythons, told The Star pythons don't like plumbing. “It’s too humid for them,” he told the paper.
Full grown pythons can reach 1.5 meters (about five feet), reported media sources. Metro News reported experts say ball pythons are not poisonous and it's rare a captivity-bred snake of this type will bite.
The shelter is reportedly searching for the owner of the snake, but no one has come forward.
If you find a snake in your home, Meeburg recommended containing it and calling Animal Services.