A married couple in northwest Germany fell seriously ill after drinking Capri Sun pouches. The police believe the fruit drinks were tampered with after being purchased, and are treating the case as an attempted murder.
According to The Local, the couple was rushed to the hospital to be treated for poisoning.
The wife, 54, is reportedly currently in an induced coma, reported AFP (translated from Google).
Both individuals reportedly drank from a resealable 330ml pouch which police say had been tampered with after being purchased and subsequently opened. The couple immediately became sick after consuming the drinks and doctors, at first, thought both the man and woman suffered a stroke.
However, now police say they believe it was attempted murder. Investigators found additional pouches in the home that had been tampered with.
“We found several drink pouches in the house. Two had been drunk, a further package also containing the harmful substance was unopened," a police spokesman told the German tabloid Bild (courtesy of The Local). "In the Capri Sun juice a substance was found which clearly doesn’t belong there.”
"The murder squad is investigating," police spokesman Dirk Siemering told Der Spiegel magazine on Friday.
The Berliner Kurier (translated by Google) reported at this time authorities say so far the poisoning is an isolated incident.
A Capri Sun spokesperson said, “It’s definitely not a quality defect," and indicated it was a "criminal manipulation." It was also noted there were no other incidents where people fell ill.
No details on the type of poison found in the fruit drink have been shared with the public at this time. The Local did report police are hoping the man, 56, recovers soon and will be able to "shed some light on the case."