Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imagePolice remove 83 explosive devices from Barrie, Ontario home

By Arthur Weinreb     Jul 20, 2012 in Crime
Barrie - After having been unable to be in their homes for a week, about 60 Barrie residents were allowed to return home after police removed explosives and other dangerous materials from a house and deemed the surrounding area to be safe.
Barrie Police Service gave the all-clear at 3:20 p.m. yesterday. Barrie police, together with the RCMP, the OPP, and the Ontario Centre for Forensic Sciences (CFS), had completed their week long work to render the property at 30 Virgilwood Crescent, safe for nearby residents to return to their homes.
The National Post reports investigators recovered and removed 83 improvised explosive devices (IEDs), chemicals, and 29 firearms that included rifles, shotguns, and a submachine gun. Thousands of rounds of ammunition were also found.
Some of the weapons found at 30 Virgilwood Crescent
Some of the weapons found at 30 Virgilwood Crescent
Barrie Police Service
The items were found in the house at 30 Virgilwood Crescent as well as in an underground bunker located on the property.
CP24 reports the city of Barrie issued a permit in 1984 to construct the fallout shelter. Although no explosives were found in the bunker, 10 weapons were recovered. The underground structure was divided into two rooms and contained food, water, clothing, and two-way radios. The bunker had a toilet and a ventilation system.
Two men who lived at 30 Virgilwood Crescent were arrested on July 12 and face charges in a cold case going back almost 34 years. Donald Feldhoff, 54, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of 26-year-old Michael Traynor. William Feldhoff, 75, Donald's father, is facing one count of accessory after the fact.
Bunker at 30 Virgilwood Crescent  Barrie  Ontario
Bunker at 30 Virgilwood Crescent, Barrie, Ontario
Barrie Police Service
The Toronto Star reports Traynor's body was found on Oct. 2, 1978 in an isolated area north of Barrie. His hands were tied behind his back and he had been shot in the chest. His killing was described as a "gangland-style slaying." Traynor was last seen on Sept. 12, 1978 when he left a bar where he was drinking with friends.
Even though a reward was offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer or killers, police were unable to solve the murder until recently when the Ontario Provincial Police received new information. This led to surveillance on the house at 30 Virgilwood and the arrests of the father and son. Police are not releasing what they learned that led to the arrests in the case that remained unsolved for almost 34 years.
Although dangerous items have been removed from the Barrie home, police are continuing a search for other evidence at 30 Virgilwood. Father and son remain in custody and will likely face other charges in relation to the weapons and explosives.
The day after residents were allowed home, some were again told to leave. Police found more chemicals in the home forcing the second evacuation.
More about Improvised explosive device, Explosives, Cold Case, donald feldhoff, william feldhoff
More news from
Latest News
Top News