Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter
Connect your Digital Journal account with Facebook or Twitter to use this feature.

article imageViolent video posted on Facebook leads to teens' arrests

article:328799:15::0
By Leigh Goessl     Jul 17, 2012 in Crime
Chicago - Three teens have been arrested in connection with the murder of a 62-year-old man. A video of the murder was recorded and posted on the Facebook page of one of the suspects.
Police saw the video and made the arrest. The teen who posted the video was arrested first, and subsequently two other teens were arrested in connection with the crime, which took place in Chicago last week.
The teens, aged 16, 17, and 18 were arrested and charged with the murder and robbery of Delfino Mora, 62.
CNN reported prosecutors allege the 16-year-old suspect allegedly was playing a game called "pick 'em out and knock 'em out" when he punched Mora, who subsequently fell backwards and hit his head hard on the concrete.
Chicago Tribune reported prosecutors said about the suspects, they "Select an unsuspecting random victim in public and cold-cock him. Robbery is optional."
According to a separate article in the Chicago Tribune, the two older teens took turns using a cellphone to record the beating, which took place last Tuesday. Mora was also allegedly robbed of $60 dollars, taken from his wallet.
"I think I'm going to knock this guy out," the 16-year-old suspect is reportedly heard saying on the video, reported CNN.
The Tribune reported Mora was found unconscious in a Chicago alley just prior to 8 a.m. Authorities say he was there about three hours before being found by a person passing by. The critically injured man was taken to the hospital where he died at about 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday. An autopsy conducted by the Cook County medical examiner office determined the cause of death to be from cranial-cerebral injury, blunt head trauma and asthma.
The recording of the assault was reportedly uploaded to Facebook, where at least one of Mora's children saw the video of the brutal attack after one of his friends saw it.
The video was brought to authorities, who were able to track down the suspects. All three teen suspects are being charged as adults.
Mora was a father of 12, and media reports say he came to the U.S. from Mexico to work in the construction industry to support the family. He reportedly suffered from a work-related accident, losing use of one of his arms, and had been collecting scrap metal to supplement his Social Security benefits.
The family has spoken out about this cruel act, and subsequent posting of the assault on Facebook.
"It feels to us like they're making fun of my dad because he couldn't defend himself," said Angelica Mora, 17, Delfino Mora's youngest child, reported the Tribune. "They think posting a violent video makes them tough. It's like they want to get famous."
"If I had them face-to-face, I would tell them I hope they regret it," said Leo Plata, Mora's grandson, reported NBCNews.com. "You don't do that to anybody, you don't just go around jumping people for fun."
The three teens, Malik Jones, 16, Nicholas Ayala, 17, and Anthony Malcolm, 18, are all being charged as adults and held without bail, charged with first-degree murder. They are due to appear in court on Aug. 3.
article:328799:15::0
More about Video, Cellphone, Facebook, Murder, Arrested
More news from
Latest News
Top News
Engage

Corporate

Help & Support

News Links

copyright © 2014 digitaljournal.com   |   powered by dell servers