'This report was filed before Wed. June 27; on that date rescue workers found 2 bodies and now say there are no more missing. The reason the list of missing was considered longer previously hasn't been fully explained.'
The number of those missing in the collapse of a mall in Elliot Lake, Northern Ontario, is now reported to be 30, growing from 9 reported missing over the weekend. Rescue workers searching for survivors have found one dead body to date.
The collapse occurred Saturday as shoppers and workers were conducting a normal day at the mall. The rooftop parking garage collapsed into the shopping area, debris and cars falling into the walkways and stores. There have been reports of tapping in the debris, and other signs of life, but authorities cannot say how many, if any, of the missing are now alive.
Elliot Lake Mall collapseResidents of the community have told TV News cameras that the mall had been suspected of being in poor structural shape. One resident said escalators would shake dramatically. The mall is over 25 years old and reportedly had repairs and upgrades four or five years ago.
The Mayor of Elliot Lake, Rick Hamilton, told the CBC News that the focus is not now on what may or may not have been wrong with the mall, but on the rescue efforts. Hamilton said that rescue workers are "moving as quickly as they can and as safely as they can."
There are reports of at least one ambulance leaving the scene this morning with sirens blaring. A report late Monday said that search efforts at the Algo Centre Mall were being called off because of how unstable the building was. The number of missing has been fluctuating all day and by late Monday officials said there were still 22 missing. They have evidence of at least one person being alive but cannot say their condition.