Nik Wallenda’s “High Wire Walk Over Niagara Falls” peaked at 13.3 million viewers in the last half hour.
Now, Jay Cochrane
, Canada's Prince of the Air, will continue what they are calling the "Summer of Skywalks" in the Niagara region, beginning June 29. Skywalk 2012 will cross a quarter mile over 50-stories high. It will be up there where Cochrane performs the "greatest building-to-building skywalk in North American history" for 12 weeks in Niagara Falls
"Niagara Falls is the premier venue in the world for Skywalk 2012," said Cochrane in a press release. "This walk approaches the grandeur of my Great China Skywalk across Qutang Gorge above the Yangtze River. I'm excited to give a spectacular performance that will draw attention to my home country of Canada and inspire people to visit Niagara."
The walk will extend 340 m (1,300 feet) from the top of the Niagara Fallsview Hilton Hotel North Tower at a height of 177 m (581 feet) to the top of the Skylon Tower at a height of 160 m (520 feet). All this is to take place "in the heart of Niagara Falls," notes the release.
Cochrane is expected to at 7 p.m. daily. He will travel over 20 miles between the two structures. In all, 88 performances are scheduled. Skywalk
2012 performances will be both higher and longer, and once he will interact with the viewers.
One interesting item of note may be the fact that this Skywalk 2012 will be visible from numerous Niagara attractions
and as far away as Buffalo, NY, and St. Catharines, Ontario.
To meet Jay, here is a way. There will be a "Wirewalking Experience
." It is designed to allow media, special guests and the public to "try to walk on the same wire he is walking in the sky"
- Fort Erie Friendship Festival (June 29 to July 2)
- Canal Days (August 3-6)
- He is the premier skywalker in the world. Cochrane's
- 1995 by The Great China Skywalk in Qutang Gorge, viewed in-person by an audience of 250,000. His walk spanned 640 m (2,098 feet) over the Yangtze River at a height of 408 m (1,340 feet). It was the highest and longest highwire walk ever completed.
- holds World Records for the longest building-to-building skywalk
- longest and highest blindfolded skywalk
- longest and highest nighttime building-to-building skywalk
- longest and highest combined skywalk
- longest time living on a wire
- the farthest cumulative distance traversed on a high wire