Initially, the loss of all three children as reported at the time at DJ
, was an emotional loss of staggering proportions for the estranged parents, along with the loss of Ms. Badger's parents. The cause of the fire was finally determined to have been caused by fireplace embers, also reported at DJ
, along with a determination that the embers were left near a mudroom connected to the house by a friend staying at the home.
The city of Stamford determined the home in its condition was a public safety hazard, and had the home demolished.
Now, it's being reported at the New York Post
, Ms. Badger and her husband have each, separately, decided to sue the city of Stamford for razing the home. Madonna Badger is suing Stamford for $3 million, for the loss of the evidence with which to file a claim for
“extreme emotional distress and mental anguish” she suffered, the legal notice says.
Matthew Badger had filed a claim against the city of Stamford last month, for alleged negligence in failing to inspect the construction being performed on the home. The $1.7 million home was considered a total loss and had been gutted by the fire. It was not clear at the time of the fire if there were any operating fire alarms in the three story structure.