Ron Paul, out of money with only 104 delegates to Romney’s 966, says he will not continue spending money in states that have not yet held primaries.
Though Paul did not outright suspend his campaign, the move tempers any chance he could rack up enough delegates to spoil the Republican party for Romney, according to an Associated Press story.
In an open letter to his supporters, Ron Paul wrote:
“Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process. We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future. Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted. Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have.”
Even though not funding his campaign virtually takes him out of the competition, Paul urged his supporters to stay involved in the presidential race as well as down-ballot races across the country, and to “spread his message of lower spending and the protection of individual liberties.”
Prior to Monday’s surprise announcement, Paul said he would gain enough delegates to play a role in this summer's convention process, should he not get the nomination. Paul has a small but loyal and outspoken contingent of support from both sides of the political aisle even though he is registered as a Republican candidate.
"In the coming days, my campaign leadership will lay out to you our delegate strategy and what you can do to help, so please stay tuned," Paul wrote. He stopped short of an outright suspension, an option all of his fellow competitors (besides Romney) have chosen.
In a statement Sunday, Paul campaign chairman Jesse Benton reconfirmed that the Paul campaign had been invited to set up a joint committee with the RNC and declined.
"The RNC offered to set up a joint fundraising committee with the Paul campaign and were very clear that if Dr. Paul became the nominee, the Victory Operation would be behind him 100 percent," Benton said. "They also were clear that they would hold off if our campaign objected. I gave my full consent for the RNC to move forward."