The park is located on the highest city's point (151 metres above sea level) and is easily accessible from almost everywhere. It uses to be a privately owned site with two quarries providing stone for road building. In 1929 the city purchased the park which was named the Queen Elizabeth Park after the royal family visit in the park in 1939. One of the former quarries was converted into very well maintained colourful garden.
The park is now a very popular destination both for city dwellers and tourists alike visiting the city. On weekends it serves as beautiful scenery for the newlyweds and their families for photo shoot before going to wedding parties.