In the second time in two months, a diner at the Heart Attack Grill has fallen ill with what is believed to be a heart attack, although no firm diagnosis has been made.
According to KTNV News, a woman suffered an apparent heart attack on Saturday. The local news reported the woman was eating a "double bypass" burger at the time of the incident.
She reportedly fell unconscious and was brought to the hospital. Reuters reported the woman is in her 40s.
The Los Angeles Times reported owner Jon Basso said, "We attract an avant-garde clientele -- thrill seekers, risk takers." He noted his restaurant is a "bad for you but fun" restaurant that "attracts people who don't really take good care of their health."
"She was eating, drinking, smoking, laughing, dancing, having fun," Basso said of his customer that fell ill. "But when you treat your body like that day in and day out, eventually your body is going to give out."
The woman's current condition is not known other than she is recovering; Basso said he hopes she has a speedy and full recovery.
With two customers falling ill during a meal at the Heart Attack Grill in a relatively short period of time, should the owner be worried? Basso is not worried about liability as he claims his restaurant tells people straight out its food is bad for consumption. Reuters notes the legal doctrine of assumption of risk, meaning an individual freely accepts the consequences of their actions.
"Unlike cigarettes, I have had warnings labels since Day 1 when we opened in 2005 telling people how bad our food is for you," Basso told the LA Times. "I think that skirts any liability we might have."
The Heart Attack Grill markets itself as selling artery-clogging food and uses a 'hospital' theme, with the servers dressed as nurses with Basso as the doctor. Diners don hospital gowns. Basso even boasts how lard is the key to taste in this Guardian YouTube video.
Some of the Heart Attack Grill's more fattening dishes are upwards of close to 10,000 calories. There is nothing on the menu that can be considered even remotely healthy, except perhaps the bottled water.
In February, Digital Journal reported on the other customer, a man, who suffered fell ill and was diagnosed with a heart attack during his dining at the controversial restaurant.