Mapo Hall, Ibadan's city hall, was built in 1929. The hall was first refurbished in 2008 after it had fallen into dilapidation. DJ reporter recently visited Mapo and captured images of the refurbished hilltop monument the people of Ibadan are proud of.
Mapo Hall is located on Mapo Hill ("Okee Mapo"), the heart of the indigenous section of Ibadan, first settled in 1829 by warrior refugees fleeing the ravages of the Fulani wars in the guinea savanna. Mapo Hill was an obvious strategic position for military defensive purposes because it gives a view of the surrounding country for miles around.
The hall was built under British colonial rule, during the residency of Captain W.A. Ross. It was designed and constructed by Engineer Robert Taffy Jones and commissioned on October 5, 1929, by Sir Creame Thompson, British Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Nigeria at the time.
The building was the main administrative and and civil center under British colonial rule. But Mapo Hall suffered neglect and fell into dilapidation after newly created regional and state governments marginalized municipal governments. The hall was refurbished during the administration of Governor Alao Akala in 2008, and now wears a new look.
Mapo Hall is now Ibadan social elite's venue of first choice for social events.