According to The Sun
, the two-year-old pup had knocked the phone onto the floor and subsequently got himself entangled in the cord. He purportedly panicked so much, the wire became wrapped around his neck.
As George desperately tried to disengage himself from the wire, he somehow managed to make the appropriate emergency call. The dispatcher who'd answered the call heard heavy breathing and alerted police, who subsequently went straight to the home.
reported police arrived and were about to break in to save the individual who'd called emergency, but a neighbor came out with a key and let the authorities in. Police reportedly entered and ran through the dwelling to find the victim; they'd thought someone had been attacked or fallen injured.
The neighbor, who had also entered the home, found George in the living room, scared with a phone cord wrapped tightly around his neck.
Neighbor Paul Walker said, "The police split up and ran through the house thinking someone had either been attacked or was desperately ill. I went to look round as well and walked into this room and saw George choking."
Walker ripped the phone apart in order to loosen the cord and George was set free, however, a paw mark was reportedly left behind to prove what happened.
"Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 — he literally saved his own life," Walker said.
Owner Lydia Brown said what was amazing about the ordeal is that her phone is an old-fashioned kind with a dial, not a push-button. Brown said, "He's not usually very smart. He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks."
noted another instance where a dog had the foresight to call for help. In 2010, a dog named Max leaned on a horn
to get his owner's attention after she'd accidentally locked him in a car in brutal hot weather.