A funeral procession in Damascus on Saturday turned deadly when security forces began rapid and repeated firing on the crowd, killing at least one and sending thousands fleeing for their lives.
A disturbing video now being viewed on YouTube shows the funeral procession slowly moving along a street in the Mezzeh district of Damascus when suddenly, Syrian troops began firing on the mourners.
The mourners were in the process of burying three youths killed during Friday protests after prayers.
The killing on Saturday marks the latest round of suppression by the Syrian government on its citizens in the 11-month uprising, and with little pressure coming from the international community, shows no signs of abatement.
A Chinese delegation had been holding talks with Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, urging the country to settle its ongoing divide. “The position of China is to call on the government, the opposition and the rebels to halt acts of violence immediately,” said Chines envoy Zhai Jun, BBC reports.
In a vote on the recent UN General Assembly resolution against Assad, only China and Russia exercised their veto power.
Amnesty International, in a shocking report, describes new evidence of torture by the Syrian regime. In an interview with a victim, AI researcher Neil Sammonds writes of the man’s experience in an encounter with Syrian forces.
Abu Suhaib, along with a small group, were watching the Syrian army close in on al-Taibe when an anti-aircraft missile was fired in their direction. “My own flesh and blood splashed in my face,” he told AI. Suhaib suffered shrapnel wounds to his left leg and thigh, losing his left thumb in the process.
As the torture in Syria continues, al-Assad noted after his meeting with the Chinese delegation, “What Syria is facing is fundamentally an effort to divide it and affect its geopolitical place and historic role in the region,” according to BBC.