Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who has admitted killing 77 people in the 2011 July 22 massacre in Oslo and on Utøya, appeared in an Oslo court on Monday to attend the final hearing before his scheduled trial in April. A smug smirk appeared on his face as he was led into the court in handcuffs.
The Norway Post reported that the Tingrett Court remanded Breivik in police custody for a further 12 weeks. Before a huge media audience who attended the hearing, Breivik also demanded his freedom, saying his killing spree had been an act of self-defence .
Breivik said his actions constituted a "preventive attack against state traitors" who supported immigration, according to the Telegraph
. He went on to add "I acknowledge the acts but I plead not guilty. I do not accept imprisonment. I demand to be immediately released. We, the Norwegian resistance movement, will not just stand by while we are made a minority in our own country."
The Australian reported that Breivik said those who support immigration promote “an Islamic colonisation of Norway.” He then told the judge that he deserved a medal of honour for the attacks.
If found guilty at his trial in April Breivik could face 21-years in prison for murder of 77 people.