Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageFlorida man arrested for killing, eating victim's brain, eyes

By JohnThomas Didymus     Jan 26, 2012 in Crime
Bridgeport - Police have arrested a Florida man Tyree Lincoln Smith, 35, who allegedly killed and ate a man in the city of Bridgeport, Connecticut. Smith is alleged to have killed 43-year-old Angel "Tun Tun" Gonzalez with a hatchet and ate his eyes and brain.
The Harford Courant reports police in Lynn Haven, Florida, say a property inspector discovered the decomposed body of the victim Gonzalez, on Friday on the third floor of an abandoned building at 216 Brooks Street in Bridgeport. Medical examiner's report said the cause of Gonzalez's death was blunt trauma to the head.
A cousin of Smith, Nicole Rabb, contacted the police on January 23, and gave them information that Smith arrived at her Seaview Avenue apartment in Bridgeport on December 15, saying he wanted to "get blood on his hands." According to Houston Chronicle, Rabb said Smith told her, "he had gotten a rare steak at a restaurant in Florida and when he had tasted the blood it had given him a sexual sensation." Smith, according to Rabb, was carrying a large bag. He was drinking from a bottle of sake and showed her a small ax he pulled out of the bag. According to Rabb: "He was talking about a book he was writing that was all about murder and rape and about Greek gods."
Hartford Courant also reports Smith's cousin Nicole Rabb, told Detective Harold Dimbo and Sgt. Giselle Doszpoj that Smith was incoherent when he came to her house. According to Rabb, he talked about "needing blood and being on a mission to get blood." He kept talking about Greek gods and called her "Athena."
Smith, according to the arrest warrant affidavit, then left Rabb's house and went to the Beardsley Park and later to 216 Brooks Street, an abandoned house where he used to live.
When Smith returned to Rabb's house at about 11 p.m., he banged on the door but she did not let him in, so he left. Smith returned to Rabb's house the next day, December 16, around 5 p.m. According to Rabb, he had blood on his pants and hands, and carried an axe which was also smeared with blood. He asked to take a bath. Then later at dinner table with Rabb and her two young sons, Smith announced: "I got my blood."
According to Houston Chronicle, Rabb said Smith told her he went looking for "blood" in Beardsley Park but did not find anyone. He complained in his account to Rabb that Bridgeport wasn't the same city anymore where many people were at the park at night. Then he went to Brooks Street to spend the night.
The Washington Post reports Rabb told the police that Smith told her he was sleeping on the second-floor porch at 216 Brooks, when the Hispanic man, Gonzalez, awakened him and invited him inside at the third floor. The man invited Smith because it was cold outside in the porch. Smith told Rabb that when Gonzalez invited him, he heard a voice, saying: "This is your blood."
Tyree Lincoln Smith  Lynn Haven Florida
Tyree Lincoln Smith, Lynn Haven Florida
Lynn Haven, Fla. Police Dept.
Smith, according to Rabb, said he hit the Hispanic's face and head with an axe and collected one of his eyes, a piece of his skull and some of his brain. According to the affidavit: "Tyree told [Rabb] the blows to [Gonzalez's] head were so severe that he was able to remove an eye from the man's head along with pieces of brain matter and a piece of his skull."
Smith then put the brain and eye into a bag and went to Lakeview Cemetery where Rabb's mother was buried. Hartford Courant reports the affidavit said: "At the cemetery he said he ate the eyeball, which tasted like an oyster, and the brain matter." Rabb said Smith told her he washed the raw meal down with sake and got a rush "he had never experienced before."
Independent Online reports Rabb called Smith's mother, Cheryl Smith, who notified the police on December 16, saying that her son had "mental issues." She advised them to check the abandoned building at 216 Brooks Street. According to Hartford Courant , Smith's mother said "her son Tyree has mental issues and is trespassing at this property and squatting on the third floor."
Rabb, who grew up with Smith, lamented she did nothing to stop her cousin after he told her he would kill someone tonight. But she said she did not take his "crazy rantings" seriously because she was used to hearing such talk from him. She said: "Who the hell would think you could be related to someone like this. I mean, I've heard of Hannibal Lecter, but I never thought I could have someone in my family who would actually eat someone."
Houston Chronicle reports Rabb accused police of not acting faster after they were told Smith had confessed to killing someone. According to Rabb, police told Smith's mother "they couldn't get into the Brooks Street apartment building to look for a body."
The Washington Post reports Smith left Connecticut for Florida on Friday, in a Greyhound Bus. With Rabb's assistance police detectives called Smith in Florida on cellphone, and Smith told them he was living in Lynn Haven, Florida. Smith at first admitted he killed the man but on suspicion he might be talking to the police he changed his story, saying he saw the body of the Hispanic while he was at 216 Brooks Street, but that he did not touch it. He told detectives later that when his mother asked him whether he had killed the man he said yes.
Lynn Haven police took Smith into custody on Tuesday night after Bridgeport police informed them. Houston Chronicle reports Smith, who grew up in Ansonia, is being held in lieu of $1 million bond pending extradition to Connecticut.
Smith's background
Smith graduated from Ansonia High School in the 1990s. After graduation, he moved to California where he worked as a model for a while. According to Rabb, his photograph was featured on several billboard ads. Rabb said Smith had received treatment for psychiatric problems. But police say they do not have any evidence. Smith, according to Rabb, "said he was hearing voices. One time, the voices told him to get out of bed in the middle of a snowstorm and walk barefoot across town. He spent several months in a hospital."
Smith has prior misdemeanor convictions in Connecticut but had never been in prison. He pleaded guilty to interfering with an officer in 2004, and second-degree breach of peace in New Haven in 2005.
According to Houston Chronicle, 25-year-old Odalys Vazquez, stepson of the victim said: "All I want now is justice. Here it is that my dad was trying to help this guy, telling him to come inside from the cold. If my father was helping him stay warm, what kind of person is it who does this, who repays him by swinging an ax at him and hitting him so hard it blows his brains out?"
More about Tyree Lincoln Smith, Angel "Tun Tun" Gonzalez, nicole rabb, Eyes, ate brain
More news from
Latest News
Top News